Mr. Allison thanks the residents for their patience – Advertisement – The National Housing Authority (NHA) has purchased 12.5 acres at the cost of US$40,000 in D. Wiles Town near VOA to begin the construction of 54 duplexes (108 units) for erosion victims from West Point.Residents for their patience, promising that the project will begin in about two weeks.Addressing a group of West Point residents displaced by erosion in the township, NHA deputy managing director for technical services yesterday assured them that the construction will begin in about two weeks.He said the project was initially intended to cover 25 acres, but that the government has so far been able to make only half of the money available to begin the construction of the housing units.“We thank you for your patience because the project involves planning and resources,” Allison said as the residents cheered him on. “After clearings and other works, we will begin the construction in about two weeks from today.”He said the cost of a housing unit is estimated at US$18,000 and commended President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and the government for making the initial amount ready for the project.A unit will include two bedrooms, a kitchen, dining room, living room and a back porch. The construction work is divided among nine Liberian-owned construction companies, said Allison.Rev. Demore W. Moore, chairman of the Disaster Victims Assistance of West Point, commended the government for its initiative to build the homes.Speaking on behalf of the West Point Commissioner, Rev. Demore W. Moore recounted the suffering of many West Point residents, and the efforts to find temporary residences for them.He said over 200 residents are presently displaced because of the continuous erosion in the township. He appealed for blankets, buckets, mattresses, cooking utensils and other household items needed to ease the suffering of the victims.Mr. Stephen B. Scott, field supervisor from the Liberian Refugee Repatriation & Resettlement Commission (LRRRC), also commended the residents for their patience and assured them of LRRRC’s support.In his remarks, Commissioner Soko D. Wiles of the Brewerville City Council spoke about the need for Liberians to support each other in times of crises. He said his family decided to sell the land to the government to provide homes for distressed citizens from West Point.District #17 representative aspirant Abraham C. Sessay, Chief Executive Officer of Red Power FM 100.3, thanked the people of the district for exercising patience while the government endeavors to make money available to start the project.He pledged his support to ensure that the distressed Liberians from West Point get relief. “We will do our best to work together to make your stay better,” he told the gathering.Meanwhile, the Disaster Victims Assistance (DVA) group is constructing three tents as temporary shelter for three family heads of eight persons per family, for a total of 24 persons that are expected to be resettled in the community.For more than a year, erosion has affected hundreds in the Township of West Point. The NHA provided over 30 families temporary zinc houses in VOA near Brewerville.The construction on the original 25 acres will include 108 duplexes at an estimated cost of US$1.3m. The project is funded by the Liberian government to resettle hundreds of erosion victims from the township of West Point.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Deputy Minister for Sports, G. Andy QuamieWith less than six days to the official kickoff of the 2018/2019 National Country Sports Meet, Deputy Youth and Sports Minister G. Andy Quamie says preparation for this year’s sporting festival is well on course.The National County Sports Meet, which is the country’s biggest sporting festival, is expected to begin on Sunday, December 16, 2018 with the official kick off scheduled to take place in Sanniquellie, Nimba County.This year’s event is being sponsored by Orange Liberia under the theme: “Celebrating 15 years of Peace”According to Minister Quamie, 60 sets of jerseys branded and customized with the Orange emblem have been provided to the 15 participating counties ahead of the official kickoff. The Deputy Minister made the statement yesterday when he appeared as guest on a local radio show.Early November, the Ministry of Youth and Sports along with the County Meet’s official sponsor, Orange Liberia, promised to make the 2018 edition of the event ‘the biggest in Liberian history’.Minister Quamie added that basketball has been re-introduced in the tournament while women’s football will, for the first time, be introduced as well, as a test case during the quarterfinals stage of the event.The preliminary rounds of the tournament will simultaneously be played at four venues across the country. Group I contains host Nimba, Sinoe, Montserrado and Gbarpolu counties.Zwedru City, Grand Gedeh will host Maryland and Grand Bassa counties in Group II; in Group III Kakata City, Margibi County will host Lofa, Grand Cape Mount, and Grand Kru counties, while Group IV comprises host Bomi, with Bong, River Gee, and River Cess counties.Eight counties will progress to the quarterfinals and come to Monrovia on January 5, at the Samuel Kanyon Doe Sports Complex in Paynesville. The grand final will be played on Sunday, January 13, while the third place match will be played on Saturday, January 12, 2019.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
United Kingdom High Commissioner to Guyana, Greg Quinn has called for the speedy enactment of the food safety regulations even as the Bill gained the attention of a Parliamentary Select Committee. Quinn made these comments when he addressed the dinner and awards ceremony hosted by the Guyana Manufacturing and Services Association Ltd over the weekend.One year has passed since the Food Safety Bill 2016 was first read in the National Assembly. It was after fierce debate on both sides of the House in February 2017, that the Bill was placed before a select committee. Ambassador Quinn, however, maintained that enactment of such legislation was key in protecting the health of citizens and to ensure that regulations were duly monitored.“There is a need to ensure proper food safety legislation is in place. This provides the necessary assurance that food will be produced, processed and stored in a way which protects the health of consumers. There is work afoot for a food safety bill, and I would encourage the conclusion of such legislation as soon as possible,” Quinn told the GMSA gathering last week.He added that his country’s advocacy for such legislation was to ensure that all of Guyana’s resources were for the benefit of all and to ensure that Government spent in a way that would benefit all citizens and to ensure proper regulatory oversight.When Natural Resources Minister Raphael Trotman addressed the Bill in February, he stated that it looked to prevent the spread of foodborne diseases through the control of the production, preparation, handling, storage and the transportation of food and provide for connected matters. Trotman added then that the Bill would consolidate the functions of agencies like the Government Analyst-Food and Drug Department (GA-FDD).The Bill also speaks to: requirements for registration; licensing of food business; power to charge fees and suspend and revoke licence; return of licence; Permit to engage in street food vending: requirement for health certificate; application for permit; granting or refusing of permits; and cancellation of permits. Provisions for permits for food handlers and obligations of operators of food-handling establishments are also included in the Bill. The Bill addresses the liability of food inspectors, who will not be liable when acting in good faith, according to specific provisions.The establishment of a Food Safety Authority and other matters related to food safety are addressed in the Food Safety Bill 2016. The Authority will have the power to seize food and issue notification of unsafe food.Provision for a “general offence and penalty” is provided for in the Bill, which means that for any general offence, there will be a fine of $20,000 and imprisonment of six months. The political Opposition had called for the Bill to be sent to a Parliamentary Special Select Committee to which Agriculture Minister Noel Holder had agreed.
A Sisters Village, West Bank Demerara (WBD) man was on Wednesday morning robbed at gunpoint in the vicinity of the No 44 Minibus Park, Longden Street, Georgetown.Rohan Persaud, 27, was relieved of one mobile phone valued $30,000 by four men, one of whom was armed with a hand gun and another with a knife.Reports are Persaud was walking on the pavement about 05:30h when he was confronted by the suspects, who held him at gunpoint and relieved him of the phone.After committing the act, the men escaped on foot. The matter was reported and based on information gathered, one of the suspects was identified as “Lil Boy”. An investigation has been launched.
Senior Police officials on Wednesday confirmed that the 24-year-old Corentyne man who was on the run after allegedly raping his 3-year-old relative on Friday last was apprehended and is expected to be charged shortly.A source told Guyana Times that the man was apprehended by Police a short distance from his Corentyne, Berbice home.It was reported that on the day in question, the child was left in the care of the suspect’s mother, as the child’s mother went to attend to her farm in the backlands.On Friday last, the suspect’s mother left the child unattended and it was then that her son allegedly committed the act.Based on reports, it was when the mother of the child collected her daughter after returning from the backlands, that the girl complained that the suspect interfered with her private parts.As such, the mother contacted the Police and the three-year-old was medically examined, where it was confirmed that there was sexually penetration. The suspect remains in custody and is assisting with investigations.
Mayor of Mabaruma, in Barima-Waini (Region One), Henry Smith, has said the slated landfill which aims to provide a sustainable approach to sanitation management for the region is being delayed as the municipality looks for a suitable site for its establishment.Mayor of Mabaruma, Henry SmithDuring a recent interview with the Department of Public Information (DPI), the mayor said the administration had encountered “some problems, where residents were objecting to it (landfill) being stationed at its set location”.The mayor stressed that, at this moment, there are talks about acquiring alternative sites which would not only be approved by the administration, but the residents for their benefit.According to the mayor, for health purposes, the administration would be looking for locations away from persons’ homes.Last year, the Communities Ministry signed a $6.5million contract for hydrogeological and geotechnical investigations at proposed landfills in Region One (Mabaruma and Port Kaituma). The work is to be undertaken by E&A Consultants Limited.Mayor Smith has said that these efforts to establish the landfill sites are in keeping with the Government’s ‘Green Economy’ agenda. He also highlighted that despite the pause on the landfill, there was tremendous improvement regarding the region’s healthcare services, teachers being trained, and educational opportunities being available. He also noted the ongoing lessons being provided to secondary school students at the Mabaruma Settlement, to improve students’ knowledge now that more qualified teachers are resident in the region.“Things are looking up for us, really looking up for us; and you can see in the surroundings (that) people are more conscious about their environment. Even all of the lands are being taken up, as everyone wants to be in this development,” Mayor Smith has said.
Prominent business executive, Dr Leslie Chin has teamed up with his son, who is based in Canada, to establish a hub that would see them collecting and refurbishing laptop computers for the benefit of visually-impaired students in Guyana, including the blind.The initiative would target donors both here in Guyana and in Canada.The hub was established after it was explained to Dr Chin, on behalf of the blind community, that being the owner of a computer was an essential component toA visually-impaired student utilising a specialised computer to communicate and studybridge the communication gap that existed between the blind and sighted world.It was further highlighted that the computer has made learning, research, employment, social interaction and so on, much easier for persons who were visually impaired. Prior to the advent of the Jobs Access With Speech (JAWS) software, it was extremely difficult for persons who are visually impaired to communicate with the sighted world.The computers received by the hub would be refurbished and equipped with the JAWS software to enable text-to-speech conversion for the benefit of the blind user. The refurbished JAWS-enabled laptops would be given mainly to persons with vision disabilities that are on the path of academic or professional development. Dr Chin and his family made the first donation of a laptop to the Guyana Society for the Blind to benefit the organisation’s Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) Programme. The donation was made in response to the need that arose as a result of the theft of the computer system that was being used for the programme by armed bandits, who stormed the organisation’s headquarters earlier this year. Persons wishing to donate to the computer hub can call (592) 226-5551 for more information.
The prosecution has requested more time to submit a psychiatric report on Orwain Sandy, the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) rank, who allegedly murdered his lover, Reona Payne, by shooting her some 14 times about her body at Alexander Village, Georgetown.Sandy reappeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on Tuesday where he calmly stood before City Magistrate Judy Latchman. The court was told that Sandy met with head of the Mental Health Unit of the Public Health Ministry, Dr Bhiro Harry to be mentally evaluated.Ex-GDF Captain Orwain SandyHowever, the report is yet to be submitted to the prosecution, who requested additional time. Police Prosecutor Shawn Gonsalves also revealed that they are still several outstanding statements in the matter.As such, Magistrate Latchman adjourned the matter for May 2, when the psychiatric report is expected to be presented to the court.Family members of Sandy filled the courtroom to show support for the accused killer.Outside of the courtroom, friends, and family members along with Payne’s three children were seen sporting T-shirts with her picture calling for justice for the dead woman.A tearful Sandy made his first appearance in court on April 6 where he was remanded to prison.Murdered: Reona PayneThe charge against him alleged that on March 31, 2018, while in the vicinity of First Street, Alexander Village, Georgetown, he murdered Payne.Guyana Times previously reported that the couple was in their car proceeding along First Street, Alexander Village, when a heated argument reportedly ensued.As such, Payne reportedly exited the vehicle after which Sandy followed, carrying a loaded firearm, his service pistol.He then shot the woman once, resulting in her dropping to the ground. However, this online publication was told that Sandy proceeded to stand over her, and emptied the entire magazine on the woman.The captain then fled the scene and turned himself over at the Ruimveldt Police Station, where he reported the matter.The Police were also summoned by residents who heard the gunshots.When this publication visited the scene, the woman’s lifeless body was seen on the road along with several spent shells which were recovered by the Police.Meanwhile, at the Ruimveldt Police Station, Sandy was taken into custody as he was questioned as to what led to the brutal murder.The GDF has since released a statement confirming the shooting and outlined that the captain ‘was immediately interdicted from his duties.’Payne and Sandy reportedly dated but later married separate people. However, a few years after they left their respective spouses and rekindled their relationship.The dead woman reportedly told relatives and friends along with a co-worker that she was being physically abused by Sandy. She even sent photos which purportedly showed marks of violence on her body to a family member to attest to this.
With a view to women reaching the highest pinnacle, First Lady Mrs. Sandra Granger yesterday urged women and girls to develop their capacity in Information Communication Technology, and to pursue careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) related fields.First Lady Mrs. Sandra Granger flanked on the left by Co-Founder of SheLeadsIt, Nicole Pitter-Patterson, and on the right by Minister of Public Telecommunications, Hon. Catherine Hughes (PTI) and Minister of Business, Hon. Dominic Gaskin along with students and teachers.The First Lady was at the time speaking at the launching of the Girls in ICT Day 2018 Caribbean Tech Lab-Guyana.“ICT can provide women and girls with education job training, promote literacy, improve access to health care, enable the exercise of legal rights and participation in government,” Mrs. Granger noted.Recent statistics from the United Nations show that 90 percent of the jobs in the near future will require these qualifications.Telecommunications Public Minister Cathy Hughes continued her mantra that with the emergence of the local oil and gas industry, the need for an ICT proficient population is even more relevant.“I want you to see the many possibilities that will be open to you when you continue to acquire higher skills and training in ICT,” the Minister urged the female students.Students at Thursday’s tech lab will benefit from teaching on topics such as Design Thinking with Google, and Introduction to Website Development.The Tech Lab is an initiative of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) spearheaded by GeoTech Vision in collaboration with the Ministry of Public Telecommunications, Cerulean Incorporated, Sites Gy, and Roraima Airways.Initiatives under the Girls in ICT day contribute to country targets of the UN Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 5: Gender equality and empowerment for women and girls.
Mikhal Gordon of Westminster, West Bank Demerara and his neighbour, Ronorda Jackson, settled tensions late last Thursday when they appeared before Wales Magistrate Dylon Bess following a dispute over sand.Gordon was arraigned on charges of using threatening language, and later throwing stones at Jackson, after she objected to sand coming across into her yard.In his explanation to the presiding magistrate, Gordon claimed his neighbour told him she would get “her man” to shoot him over the dispute. The accused admitted that he had threatened Jackson and thrown missiles in her direction, but said this was done after she had hurled the threatening remarks at him.The magistrate has placed Gordon on a bond to keep the peace for one year. If he does not honour the court’s order, he would have to spend six months in jail.