With a view to women reaching the highest pinnacle, First Lady Mrs. Sandra Granger yesterday urged women and girls to develop their capacity in Information Communication Technology, and to pursue careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) related fields.First Lady Mrs. Sandra Granger flanked on the left by Co-Founder of SheLeadsIt, Nicole Pitter-Patterson, and on the right by Minister of Public Telecommunications, Hon. Catherine Hughes (PTI) and Minister of Business, Hon. Dominic Gaskin along with students and teachers.The First Lady was at the time speaking at the launching of the Girls in ICT Day 2018 Caribbean Tech Lab-Guyana.“ICT can provide women and girls with education job training, promote literacy, improve access to health care, enable the exercise of legal rights and participation in government,” Mrs. Granger noted.Recent statistics from the United Nations show that 90 percent of the jobs in the near future will require these qualifications.Telecommunications Public Minister Cathy Hughes continued her mantra that with the emergence of the local oil and gas industry, the need for an ICT proficient population is even more relevant.“I want you to see the many possibilities that will be open to you when you continue to acquire higher skills and training in ICT,” the Minister urged the female students.Students at Thursday’s tech lab will benefit from teaching on topics such as Design Thinking with Google, and Introduction to Website Development.The Tech Lab is an initiative of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) spearheaded by GeoTech Vision in collaboration with the Ministry of Public Telecommunications, Cerulean Incorporated, Sites Gy, and Roraima Airways.Initiatives under the Girls in ICT day contribute to country targets of the UN Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 5: Gender equality and empowerment for women and girls.
Mikhal Gordon of Westminster, West Bank Demerara and his neighbour, Ronorda Jackson, settled tensions late last Thursday when they appeared before Wales Magistrate Dylon Bess following a dispute over sand.Gordon was arraigned on charges of using threatening language, and later throwing stones at Jackson, after she objected to sand coming across into her yard.In his explanation to the presiding magistrate, Gordon claimed his neighbour told him she would get “her man” to shoot him over the dispute. The accused admitted that he had threatened Jackson and thrown missiles in her direction, but said this was done after she had hurled the threatening remarks at him.The magistrate has placed Gordon on a bond to keep the peace for one year. If he does not honour the court’s order, he would have to spend six months in jail.
As Guyana advances towards becoming an oil-producing nation, lecturers and instructors from the Linden community in Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) were beneficiaries of a two- day oil and gas sector training, conducted by the Centre for Local Business Development and the Council for Technical and Vocational Education and Training.The interactive training sessions, which were hosted at the Linden Technical Institute (LTI) on Thursday and Friday last, targeted mainly lecturers of the institution, with the aim of promoting an understanding of the process and importance of offshore oil and gas production.Participants received an introduction to offshore oil and gas, health, safety and environmental-related topics under the three courses which were launched.Speaking at one of the sessions, Senior Business Specialist attached to the Centre for Local Business Development, Dr Natasha Gaskin-Peters noted that the Centre aimed to build local companies through funding by ExxonMobil.She said the Centre would have met with the Institution last year, and the technical and vocational schools were assessed to ascertain what was available here in Guyana.“Linden was one of the schools that we have met with and we will continue to work with the technical and vocational schools, as we move along because we know that you guys want to be engaged and want to ensure that your students have the requisite skills for the industry and so this is just the starting process,” Gaskin-Peters said.Additionally, she pointed out that while the workshop was being piloted in Linden, other communities will soon benefit from the initiative.Apart from raising awareness on the process and importance of offshore oil and gas production in Guyana, the workshop also sought to enable participants to understand the implementation of strategies to upgrade health and safety.Participants were engaged by Health and Safety Specialist attached to the Centre for Local Business Development, Allan Lambert. Other topics discussed included value chains, technologies, local content and opportunities in the new oil and gas industry in Guyana.
The case of alleged simple larceny in which 64-year-old Walter Joseph of Oronoque Drive, Retrieve, Linden has been accused of removing from Black Face Disco, where he was employed, 60 cases of empty Banks DIH Ltd bottles valued at $30,000, at some time between May 2017 and February 2018, commenced on Tuesday before Linden Magistrate Clive Nurse.The virtual complainant on Tuesday took to the stand to give evidence against Joseph, who is currently on $20,000 bail and is being represented by attorney René McDonald.The matter has, however, been adjourned to August 27.
Alleged Linden Police beating sagaThe office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has recommended that charges be laid against a Linden Police Officer and a taxi driver who were recently embroiled in an altercation at the Wisroc- Amelia’s Ward minibus park in Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice).Police had launched an investigation after the parties were both questioned in relation to the incident, which transpired on October 8, 2018 shortly after it occurred.The incident, which was recorded on video, showed the taxi driver, Kevin Grant, being physically assaulted by a rank after apparently resisting arrest.Based on investigations and statements obtained from the parties involved, legal advice had been sought, with the video also being presented in the file. E Division (Linden-Kwakwani) Commander Linden Lord said it was recommended that Grant be charged with resisting as well as assaulting a Peace Officer acting in the execution of his duties and for Police Constable Tquian Barnes to be charged with using unnecessary violence against Grant.Lord said the charges would be prepared and filed for court presentation today. He noted that the incident was somewhat unfortunate and uncalled for on both parties’ part.“The Police should be given a chance to execute their duties and if by chance they err, of course, the administration would take action. Likewise, Grant if he erred, the law will take its course,” the Divisional Commander said.During the incident, it was observed that a Police Officer who was also on the scene was in possession of what appeared to be a gun; however, Lord noted that he was made to believe that one of the ranks reportedly had an air pistol, which allegedly fell out from his waistband and he picked up it and replaced it.The incident had unfolded in full view of the public and was reportedly sparked after the taxi driver who was being apprehended by ranks attached to the Mackenzie Police Station for a minor traffic violation failed to report to the said Station.In a cellphone video, which was viewed by Guyana Times, the ranks could be seen attempting to arrest the driver by handcuffing him and forcing him into a Police vehicle.A rank was also observed hitting the driver as he was being led to the Police vehicle. By then, a large crowd had gathered and several other ranks were observed on the scene.The taxi driver, who later spoke to this publication at the Station following the incident, related that he had stopped his car at a corner and was confronted by Police who had advised him to park further up.He explained, however, that the only place he could have driven was inside the park, which is located a short distance away, since according to him, there was no other space available.The driver went on to state that when he got there, the Police started to write him a ticket for failing to stop 30 feet away from the corner. “The car end up fulling (with passengers) and he taking over five minutes to write the ticket,” he related. The driver added that he was then told that another offence was being added after he questioned why the process was taking so long. He said he was then told that he was required to proceed to the station, but he refused, since, according to him, it was a ticket offence.It was shortly after this, that an exchange occurred between the driver and the Policemen resulting in his arrest, during which he alleged that he was warned. Following the incident, a number of persons who witnessed the altercation turned up to the Police Station alleging that “Police brutality” was meted out against the driver.“This is a quiet, quiet boy; if you see how he (the officer) kick he up,” one person alleged. Others noted that if no satisfaction was given, they would go further to report the incident. “They can’t do that to this boy. If they make this boy walk out of here without any satisfaction, we taking a bus and we going Eve Leary, to the Commissioner because they wrong,” another had stated.
A 30-year-old Venezuelan was remanded to prison by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan when he appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court on an armed robbery charge.It is alleged that Asdrodel González Berio on December 14, 2018, at Maka Point, North West District, Region One(Barima-Waini), while being in the company of others and armed with a gun, robbed Elroy Bhisnaught of a Yamaha outboard engine and a Nokia Cellphone valued at a total of $250,000.Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield in his submissions informed the court that Berio is not a Guyanese and he does not have a fixed place of abode locally.Berio was remanded to prison. The case will continue on February 19, 2019 at the Mabaruma Magistrate’s Court.
Local telecommunications company GTT on Friday celebrated World Telecommunication and Information Society Day by hosting 20 tech students from the Bishops’ High School (BHS).Throughout the day, the students were engaged in several activities, which included a presentation by Customer Experience Vice President Orson Ferguson and a tour of the communication hub through which mobile, landline and Blaze services interface; Senior Engineer Floyd Rodney and Network Technician Carl De Souza facilitated this.GTT Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Justin Nedd said that “it is important to inspire future generations and mould their technical skills to contribute to the development of Guyana; it is our expectation that hosting students like you would kindle your interest in the technology sector”.The aspiring engineers lauded the company for the opportunity to engage in the walkthrough, citing how informative it was. Michelle Shivcharran was given special recognition by the company for being the only young lady in the tech stream at the Bishops’ High School. The students were quizzed on what they would have learnt, and Omkar Persaud won for himself a cellular phone.Accompanying the students were Ms Williams, a Maths teacher, and Sir Blyden, the Technical Drawing teacher. They noted how educational the walkthrough was and thanked GTT for allowing the students to have such an experience.GTT, over the years, has contributed to bridging the standardisation gap through the deployment of many new and improved services.The company earlier this year ventured into several new initiatives including a paperless billing system, which supports the green initiative, as well as the enhanced use of technology through the use of electronic payment systems like Mobile Money Guyana (MMG) and the MyGTT App.World Telecommunication and Information Society Day marks the founding of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) on May 17, 1865, when the first International Telegraph Convention was signed in Paris. This year, it is being celebrated under the theme, “Bridging the standardisation gap.”Two staff members of the telecommunications giant giving the students a tour of GTT’s switching area
A section of the deplorable buildingA section of the deplorable buildingThe Georgetown Mayor and City Council (M&CC) on Monday moved a motion to see the establishment of a restoration fund committee to help fast track the rehabilitation process of the historic building.According to the City’s Mayor, Ubraj Narine, every spark is the beginning to a fire, the same spark, he said, was lit during the Council’s statutory meeting, which saw nine committee members being elected.He was keen to note during his remarks that this committee will be extended to include other stakeholders such as the Private Sector, the Chambers of Commerce, the National Trust, the Department of Tourism, civil society, and others.“I believe this (building) is the eye of the City and we all, as Councillors, should work in this cohesive way to restore this historic building of our nation,” Narine said.Councillor Oscar Clarke suggested that the Mayor be Chairman over the committee of nine members, which comprises six councillors, two from each political party and three officers.Meanwhile the Deputy Mayor, Alfred Mentore, reminded that the structure was decaying in front of councillors as he urged them to support the motion. Further he said, “It’s one of those buildings that we use, but it’s now being abused and we got to do something about it. So we got to all take this very important decision to deal with this particular issue”.The executives elected to serve were Mayor Ubraj Narine as Chairman, Deputy Town Clerk Sharon Harry-Munroe as Secretary, and Councillors Deon Younge, Oscar Clarke, Eketa Edwards, and Michael Leonard. Deputy Mayor Alfred Mentore, Acting Treasurer John Douglas and Deputy City Engineer (ag) Kenson Boston were also chosen to sit on the committee.In February, the European Union (EU) handed over a document to the Mayor in relation to the restoration of City Hall’s deplorable structure and ways in which the space can be utilised to garner independent revenues.EU Ambassador to Guyana Jernej Videti? made the presentation to the Mayor alongside Deputy Mayor Alfred Mentor.Speaking with media operatives after discussions between the two parties, Videti? explained that some £280,000 was expended to craft the document, bringing new ideas to the restoration project. He noted that some plans include using the historic building as a tourism spot, where it can be booked for special events to earn money.The Georgetown M&CC has pegged the overhaul of the City Hall building at over $400 million, and noted that stakeholders would strive to attain funding for the rehabilitation works.The building has suffered much neglect over the years even though millions of dollars have been allocated to facilitate repairs, including some $20 million in 2012.Just recently, the Mayor himself had disclosed plans of relocating some staffers due to the leaking roofs.
As some 628 applications have been received for land at Millie’s Hideout, there continues to be a “mad rush” for land, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) Regional Executive Officer (REO) Orrin Gordon said.According to the REO, with the Region Ten administration’s efforts in constructing a road that will lead to the Berbice River, the interest by farmers and others to secure land there continues to be significant.Millie’s Hideout is the area in Region 10 where Police conduct constant raids as it is a haven for marijuana cultivation. This year alone, Police have unearthed and destroyed thousands of marijuana plants on large acreage in that area.According to Gordon, Government had given the region $13 million, which was supposed to complete some two miles of road; however, they were able to complete nine miles instead, and is determined that the project which was originally pegged at $300 million can be completed for one-fifth of that amount.Gordon said that some 628 persons have applied for land at the area, noting that the interest in farming continues to increase, and stressed that the public is becoming aware that agriculture is critically important to Guyana.He disclosed that from the 628 applications, the Region has some 21,000 acres of land that will be distributed among the applicants. He added that the region is awaiting the green light from Guyana Lands and Survey Commission before the applications are processed.The REO stressed that the greatest challenge facing the Region Ten administration in its distribution is that the Lands and Survey Commission is not moving as fast as they expected them to move, noting that its slowing the process.REO Gordon declared that the lands that the Region intends to distribute are for serious farmers, warning that the monitoring and evaluation process would be rigged so as to ensure that those who are genuine about farming can benefit.In June, Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo called on President David Granger to answer for a massive distribution of prime State lands to certain employees of the Ministry of the Presidency, as well as to cronies in the PNC-led A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) fraction of the coalition Government and officials of the States Assets Recovery Agency (SARA), which were supposed to recover State assets.Meanwhile, the Opposition Leader said its quite worrying since a top-ranking official of Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) also received land. That land is located at Millie’s Hideout in Linden.
…was allegedly dealt cuffs to head, body causing him to retaliate with scissorsA 23-year-old miner was remanded to prison when he appeared at the Bartica Magistrate’s Court, Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) to answer to the charge of felonious wounding.Dameon Jones, called “Blacka”, of Republic Drive, Beterverwagting, East Coast Demerara (ECD), appeared before Magistrate Crystal Lambert on Thursday and denied the allegation that on December 16, 2019, he stabbed 35-year-old Robin Benjamin Lepps.It was reported that on the day, a verbal confrontation began between the two men which stemmed from an old grievance. Lepps is said to have dealt Jones a few cuffs to his body and head.In retaliation, Jones, who had a pair of scissors in his possession, used it to deal a stab to the centre of Lepps’ chest, one to his right-side rib cage, and a third stab to the left-side rib cage.After the fight attracted the attention of onlookers, Jones reportedly fled the scene, while persons rushed Lepps to the Bartica Regional Hospital where he was immediately admitted.Meanwhile, the suspect allegedly visited the Bartica Police Station where he handed over the pair of scissors to the investigating officers who promptly arrested and charged him for the offence.He will make his next court appearance on January 9, 2020.