Former Everton and Manchester United boss David Moyes believes failure in Europe has exposed declining standards in the Barclays Premier League. Moyes is manager of Spanish side Real Sociedad, a job he took up in November. He has been linked with a return to England with West Ham, where Sam Allardyce remains in charge, but appears comfortable in the Primera Division. Press Association While Spanish sides have flourished in Europe this season their Premier League counterparts have struggled, with none left in the Champions League or Europa League after Arsenal, Manchester City, Chelsea and Everton bowed out this month. Moyes said on BBC Radio Five Live’s Sportsweek programme: “It’s not been too long ago where we were looked at as probably having the best teams, and it does change. “Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal are all exceptional teams in their own right and they’ll be disappointed they went out, and maybe on another day they’d have gone through. “It’s just becoming a wee bit of a habit that we’re not getting our teams quite as close to the final as we had in the past. “I think this year you’d have to say it’s probably the poorest Premier League I’ve seen in a long, long time. “Maybe we do go over the top and recently we have maybe talked up the Premier League more than what it’s actually been. There’s other leagues which are certainly now comparable.” Moyes expects to return to the Premier League, but not in the near future. “I think someday I will,” he said. “I’ve left when I didn’t expect to be leaving but what I’ve taken on is a great job. “I love working in Spain.”
Press Association Connections of leading Investec Derby candidate Zawraq are expecting a competitive renewal of the Epsom Classic. Angus Gold, racing manager to owner Sheikh Hamdan, said: “I spoke to Dermot on Wednesday and as far as I know everything is going well. “There is a lot of rubbish talked about the Derby. William Haggas said earlier in the week people say it’s a bad race but try to win one, and he’s right. “Golden Horn certainly brings the best form we’ve seen so far and only time will tell where Zawraq fits in class-wise. He’s had two races, won them both and looked good doing it. “I’m not going to say he’s going to win the Derby, but Dermot has had enough good horses to know what he’s dealing with and he thinks he’ll run a very good race if he stays. “Whether he’ll stay or not, we’ll only find out on the day.” John Gosden expressed his delight with the work of his two Derby hopefuls on the Newmarket gallops on Saturday morning. Ante-post favourite Golden Horn and stablemate Jack Hobbs participated in pieces of work on separate gallops either side of the town, as they near completion of their preparations for the premier Classic. “Both Derby horses worked this morning and I was very happy with them. Jack Hobbs worked on the watered gallop, while across on the Limekilns Golden Horn worked with Frankie Dettori,” said Gosden. “There was nothing different, they just worked with lead horses. I don’t think Jack Hobbs needs another serious piece of work, while Golden Horn would need another piece of serious work. “Epsom (Breakfast With The Stars) the other day and their work today were the main pieces of work for them.” Although lacking an established star from the likes of Aidan O’Brien, any number of unexposed horses remain firmly in contention, among them the Dermot Weld-trained Zawraq. Unbeaten in two starts, his reappearance success over Endless Drama was well advertised by that horse’s fine effort to be second to Gleneagles in the Tattersalls Irish 2,000 Guineas.
Wales head coach Warren Gatland has no doubt his players understand the importance of Saturday’s Millennium Stadium clash against Ireland as a fierce battle for World Cup squad places intensifies. “There were a couple of little niggles and fights at training with the forwards. When they are holding and grabbing each other, you can tell there is a little bit of tension in the air. They are pretty aware of how important Saturday is, and the opportunity open to them.” There are two more uncapped players on the replacements’ bench in New Zealand-born fly-half Gareth Anscombe, whose mother is from Cardiff, and Anscombe’s Cardiff Blues colleague, hooker Kristian Dacey. Had it not been for what Gatland described as “a slight thigh strain,” it is likely that Anscombe would have started against Ireland this weekend. T he team will be captained by Scarlets centre Scott Williams, who leads his country for the first time. Elsewhere in the line-up, there is only a second Test start at fly-half for Gloucester’s James Hook since the 2011 World Cup, although his half-back partnership with Mike Phillips boasts a combined total of 170 caps. And while the uncapped starting quartet have golden chances against Ireland to press their claims, the same applies to players like full-back Hallam Amos, prop Nicky Smith and number eight Dan Baker, who packs down in the back-row alongside Moriarty and Justin Tipuric. England Under-20 World Cup winner Ross Moriarty is among four players handed a Wales debut on Saturday, when he will be joined by Ospreys wing Eli Walker, Newport Gwent Dragons centre Tyler Morgan and Bath lock Dominic Day. St Helens-born Gloucester flanker Moriarty, whose father Paul and uncle Richard both played for Wales, helped England win successive Under-20 World Cup finals in 2013 – against Wales – when his team-mates included current senior England stars Anthony Watson and Jack Nowell, and 2014. Moriarty is not tied to England because he has not represented either the senior team or England’s designated second XV, the Saxons. “There are quite a few players that have been in the squad for a number of years that we know a lot about, so that’s why there is a chance for some of the fringe players and younger players, and even more experienced players, to go out there on Saturday and perform,” Gatland said. “If you want to impress, then in front of 75,000 people with the roof closed at home, there is no better opportunity, so I am trying to give these players the best possible chance to go out and perform. “We have pushed the players right to the limit, and they have responded magnificently. “We know how hard we trained in preparation for 2011 (World Cup), and this has definitely been a step up. For everyone, it shows how much they want to make the World Cup squad and be a part of it, and it is going to be tough on us as coaches and selectors having to let some players down when we make that final cut. “We haven’t done a huge amount of contact stuff, but the forwards had a pretty tasty session this morning. They really ramped it up. Gatland reported a “couple of little niggles and fights” among the forwards at training on Tuesday, with Wales having entered the competitive warm-up phase of their World Cup countdown. He will name a final 31-man World Cup party on August 31. Wales face home and away appointments with Ireland before then. Press Association
Rodgers’ side return to the Potteries this Sunday just three months on from their 6-1 capitulation on the final day of the 2014-15 season, a loss which rounded off a dismal run-in for the five-time European Cup winners. New Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson recently revealed he is still haunted by the memories of the club’s heaviest reverse in 52 years, but they will get a chance to exact a measure of revenge in their first contest of the new campaign. Hughes acknowledges lightning is unlikely to strike twice when they host Rodgers’ new-look outfit again and believes the thrashing they administered will serve as motivation. “I don’t think there’s too many of us that feel what happened in that game will be repeated,” the Welshman said. “We’d like to think it would be but Liverpool will have a lot to say about it. “At the beginning of the season expectations are always high for everybody and no less so from a club the stature of Liverpool. “They’ll be wanting to address that, it was certainly a blot on their copybook. “I’ve heard their players talk about how they want to make sure that it doesn’t happen again. The reverse of that is obviously we’ll have something to say about that as well. “We’re hoping for a positive start to what we hope is going to be a very successful season.” The jaw-dropping manner of Liverpool’s loss, coupled with Steven Gerrard’s departure, meant Stoke’s feat of finishing ninth with a best ever Premier League points tally was pushed down the list of events to emerge that afternoon. Press Association Hughes has presided over two ninth-placed finishes since arriving at the helm and now wants to take the next step by bringing European football back to the Britannia Stadium. The Potters played in the Europa League under Tony Pulis four seasons ago after reaching the FA Cup final and Hughes does not believe achieving qualification for a continental competition is beyond his current players. He added: ” We look to improve year on year, we’ve been able to do that and we want that to continue. “If we are able to continue in the same vein then that would bring Europe into view. We’re not frightened by that prospect. “This club had a great experience the last time we were in Europe. We’d like to replicate that if we can. “I’m of the view that if we keep progressing – and with the talent and ability we’ve been able to add to the group – I think we can go close.” Stoke boss Mark Hughes is braced for a Liverpool backlash at the Britannia Stadium as Brendan Rodgers’ men make an immediate return to the venue of one of their most embarrassing defeats.
“He is quite an experienced horse for a two-year-old, having had six runs, and he is coming back off what for him has been a long break. ” William Buick has partnered the Godolphin-owned Buratino on his last three starts and expects the son of Exceed And Excel to continue to progress. He said: “Buratino has done nothing wrong and if the ground is quick he has got a great chance as he is one of the best juveniles around. “He was impressive at Epsom and he was impressive at Ascot. He has improved every time he has run. “He has had a break now so it will be interesting to see how he comes out of that. “He is an exciting horse and, touch-wood, he has improved again. “The track will be no problem for him.” He is one of a strong triumvirate for Aidan O’Brien, alongside Painted Cliffs and Washington DC. Jockey Joseph O’Brien said of the War Front colt: “He’s a lovely, big horse and he’s improving all the time – w hatever he does this year is going to be a bonus. Press Association “I think he’s the classiest horse (of the O’Brien three) and there’s no doubt in a year’s time he’s going to be the best horse. “My only worry is if the race is coming a bit early in his career, he’s a bit of progression to come yet. “He had a good run at Ascot and I’m hoping he can at least a lot closer to Mr Johnston’s horse (Buratino). Of the other Ballydoyle runners, Joseph O’Brien added: “It looks a really hot race. Painted Cliffs and Washington DC are both very well and are also entitled to take their chance.” Mark Johnston feels he could not have Buratino in better shape for the Group One contest. “It is the best two-year-old race of the season so far,” said Johnston. “Buratino won the Coventry, which is arguably the best two-year-old race before August. “He has been exceptionally well and this has been his target since Ascot. Air Force Blue, second Behind Buratino in the Coventry Stakes at Royal Ascot, bids for revenge over the British raider in the Keeneland Phoenix Stakes at the Curragh on Sunday.
Press Association It will take into account any recommendations made by the coroner on stadium safety and look at evidence from a pilot scheme taking place in Scotland. Sports minister Tracey Crouch told Press Association Sport: “It was included in the consultation process for the new sports strategy, but we still feel at the moment that until the Hillsborough inquests have concluded and we have a better understanding of what’s happening in Scotland we will not make any other decision.” The Government will reassess its ban on standing areas at Premier League grounds after the inquests of the Hillsborough disaster victims have concluded, but remains not persuaded by the arguments to change the law. All-seater stadiums for the top flight were brought in following the Taylor report into the 1989 Hillsborough disaster where 96 fans died, but there have been calls from fans’ groups for ‘safe standing’ areas similar to those used at grounds in Germany – such as Borussia Dortmund’s – to be allowed. The issue remains extremely sensitive, especially with the new Hillsborough inquests taking place, and the Government used the announcement of its new sports strategy to say it has yet to be persuaded to reintroduce standing.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating the death of a man who was in the custody of police.According to officers, the suspect fled from police in multiple jurisdictions before a Taser was used on him in West Palm Beach.Police say the investigation began overnight as Boynton Beach Police tried to pull over a vehicle that ultimately sped away from officers on I-95 near Gateway Boulevard.West Palm Beach Police said the fleeing driver, at the wheel of a 2016 red Nissan Rogue, ran a red light and crashed into a car near Palm Beach Lakes Boulevard and North Tamarind Avenue. The driver fled the scene on foot.Police said the man tried to steal a cell phone from another person, threatening to have a knife.A short time later, police said officers found the suspect on the sidewalk near 15th Street and Windsor Avenue, bleeding and sweating.West Palm Beach Police said the man, while being treated by paramedics, tried to get up and leave and resisted officers with violence.Officers said they used a Taser on the man during a struggle. He died later at the hospital.The officers involved in the incident are on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure.The State Attorney’s Office is also part of the investigation.The victim in the hit-and-run crash is expected to recover, police said.Watch Live: There is a heavy police presence and roads blocked near 15th and Australian. https://t.co/OPW8UNiz6e— WPEC CBS12 News (@CBS12) July 17, 2019
Denying entry to members of the United States Congress is a sign of weakness, not strength. It will only hurt the U.S.-Israel relationship and support for Israel in America.— Chuck Schumer (@SenSchumer) August 15, 2019 Israel will deny entry to Democrat Representatives Ilhan Omar of Minnesota and Rashida Tlaib of Michigan.Israeli officials said Thursday that it will ban the two Democratic congresswomen from entering the country ahead of a planned visit over their support for a Palestinian-led boycott movement.Interior Minister Aryeh Deri issued a statement saying that after consultations with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other senior Israeli officials he decided not to allow Tlaib and Omar to enter because of “their boycott activities against Israel.”The two newly-elected Muslim members of Congress are outspoken critics of Israel’s treatment of the Palestinians.Tlaib’s family immigrated to the United States from the West Bank.The decision was announced shortly after President Donald Trump wrote via Twitter that it would “show great weakness” to allow them in.Trump is now facing accusations of pressuring Israel into the decision.David M. Friedman, US Ambassador to Israel, released a statement via Twitter saying the government “supports and respects” the decision of the Government of Israel to deny entry to BDS activists.In the statement, he condemned the BDS movement against Israel, saying it is “not freedom of speech, rather economic warfare designed to delegitimize and ultimately destroy the Jewish State.He also confirmed that Israel initially approved Reps. Omar and Tlaib visit.Democrats have condemned Israel for the decision which has seemingly intensified divisions amongst the US political parties.Israel doesn’t advance its case as a tolerant democracy or unwavering US ally by barring elected members of Congress from visiting because of their political views. This would be a shameful, unprecedented move. I urge Israel’s government to allow @IlhanMN and @RashidaTlaib entry.— Elizabeth Warren (@ewarren) August 15, 2019
Florida will wear its traditional orange helmets with script ‘Gators’ on the side along with blue jerseys and blue pants.The Tigers traditionally wear white jerseys at home. Are black uniforms coming for the Florida #Gators? You decide if the UF equipment staff just gave fans a glimpse. https://t.co/xmCOtiU0up pic.twitter.com/IBb4VrnDHf— Swamp247 (@Swamp_247) October 9, 2019 The Florida Gators currently sit at 6-0 on the season, 3-0 in SEC play, and are on the road this weekend for their toughest test in Death Valley against the No. 5 ranked LSU Tigers. UF announced the uniform combination the Gators will wear this coming weekend.#UFvsLSU #UniWatch #GatorStandard #GatorNation @GatorsEquipment#GoGators #GatorsTogether pic.twitter.com/9mBUJQGIOA— Gators Football (@GatorsFB) October 11, 2019
Latest posts by admin (see all) admin House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014 Bio Latest Posts MILLINOCKET — Clapp turned in another strong pitching performance, allowing just one hit and striking out six as the Eagles cruised to a five-inning 15-2 win over Stearns on Monday.Stevie Theoharidis drove in four runs with a double and a single, Peake doubled and singled, Carter doubled and Clapp, Hannah Billings and Sabrina Vivian all had RBI singles for the Eagles. For more sports stories, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American. State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015 Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015 This is placeholder textThis is placeholder text