We recently wrote about current trends in tourism according to Booking.com, which should be paid attention to. Richard Clarke, an analyst at Berstein Asset Management, then proposed one of these trends as an exceptional economic opportunity – namely, investing in tourism development within one of Asia’s most populous countries, China.Surprisingly, there is a shortage of hotels and similar accommodation units in the Asian market, while at the same time a mobile and affluent middle class is developing, fascinated by Western brands. Some of the biggest players present there, the giants Marriott, Hilton, Accor and IHG are already planning to expand to a total of 64% of the total market, and just today the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) announced that in cooperation with Vynn Capital, a company specializing in capital ventures in the early stages of implementation in the Southeast Asian market launched this strategically important partnership that should actively promote the tourism sector through the promotion of entrepreneurship and innovation.The joint effort of Vynn Capital and the World Tourism Organization should create a framework and policy that would support technological start-ups, which recognize the possibility of developing the tourism sector of the region. Both sides will seek to motivate existing industries and actors such as hotels and gastronomic associations to adapt digital strategies, but also the private sector to technology investments. The role of Vynn Capital is to support tourism entrepreneurship and existing market players as a partner of the World Tourism Organization as the market turns to new technologies and innovations.”The World Tourism Organization is proud to partner with Vynn Capital to help us create real solutions for the much-needed digital transformation of tourism. Such partnerships are key in continuing to generate opportunities through tourism and to demonstrate that capital ventures are also crucial if we are to establish progressive sustainable development.”Said UNWTO Secretary-General Zur Pololikashvili.According to the UNWTO, the number of international visits in all regions has increased since the beginning of 2018, which continues last year’s strong trend. Significant growth is led by Asia and the Pacific, especially Southeast Asia with 10% and South Asia with 9% growth, which has already surpassed last year’s increase in international visits by 6%.”Tourism represents a great opportunity for Southeast Asia where we are witnessing the emergence of a strong middle class. Vynn Capital has recognized tourism as a key investment area and we will continue to work together with entrepreneurs and existing actors to promote the region’s tourism sector. We believe that technology organizations that focus on consumer mobility, such as Indonesia’s Travelio and Carsome, will continue to be the bearers of the economic benefits of tourism development. We have teamed up with the World Tourism Organization to raise a new generation of innovative tourism organizations in Southeast Asia. ”, said Victor Chua, one of the founders of Vynn Capital and president of the MVCA (Malaysia Venture Capital & Private Equity Association).It is certainly useful to follow the development of the situation…RELATED NEWS:CURRENT TRENDS IN TOURISM WHICH SHOULD BE ATTENTED
LocalNews 36 officers to graduate from Police Recruit Training Course today by: – October 19, 2011 Share 48 Views no discussions Share Tweet Sergeant Kenth MatthewThirty-six police recruits will graduate when the 30th Police Recruit Training Course of Dominica Police Force passing out ceremony gets underway this afternoon.Police Public Relations Officer Sergeant Kenth Matthew reported that a drill display and awards will form part of this ceremony.“A four month training program culminates with a passing out ceremony with the graduation of the 30th Police Recruits Training Course and the Police Training School. Among the guests will be His Excellency the President and Mrs Liverpool, the Honourable Prime Minister and Acting Minister of National Security; the latter two and the Chief of Police will address the new police officers but the functions featured speaker is former chief of police Mr Desmond Blanchard. The officers, thirty-six of them, will put on a drill display as part of that ceremony. There is going to be awards given to the officers who have excelled in different fields during that training,” he said. This ceremony will take place at 4pm today at the Police Training School in Morne Bruce.Dominica Vibes News Share Sharing is caring!
Contract options declinedThe Dodgers will not pick up the 2016 contract options on second baseman Chase Utley, reliever Joel Peralta and starter Bronson Arroyo.Peralta, who turns 40 in March, is the only one of the three who spent all year with the Dodgers. His season was interrupted by a nerve issue that affected his triceps in April. Peralta also missed time in late August with a separate neck issue, then returned in September and pitched better than he had all season (two earned runs, .129 opponents’ BA, 0.44 WHIP in nine innings). He also threw a scoreless inning in the National League Division Series.The team option called for Peralta to make $2.5 million next year. According to a source, the Dodgers have expressed interest in talking to Peralta’s agent later in the off-season.After being acquired in an August trade with the Philadelphia Phillies, Utley made his most memorable contribution to the Dodgers in Game 2 of the NLDS. His takeout slide into Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada broke Tejada’s leg and ultimately drew a two-game suspension from MLB. It also keyed a four-run rally that led to the Dodgers’ only home win of the series.While his baserunning was never an issue, Utley’s .202/.291/.363 slash line and age (36) didn’t lead a second year in Los Angeles at a cost of $5 million or more.Arroyo never appeared in a Dodgers uniform on or off the field in 2015. He was a throw-in to the three-team, 13-player trade that sent Hector Olivera to Atlanta and Mat Latos, Alex Wood, Jim Johnson, Luis Avilan and Jose Peraza to the Dodgers. His option year was valued at $13 million.Ruggiano, Heisey become free agentsOutfielders Justin Ruggiano and Chris Heisey elected to become free agents Friday.Ruggiano, 33, declined an outright assignment to the minor leagues.He played 24 games for the Dodgers after he was acquired from the Seattle Mariners for cash on Aug. 31. He slashed .291/.350/.618 in the regular season, batting almost entirely against left-handed pitchers. He went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in three playoff games against the Mets.A 2004 Dodgers draft pick, Ruggiano would have been eligible for salary arbitration at the end of the season. He made $2.5 million in 2015.Heisey, 30, shuffled back-and-forth to Triple-A Oklahama City often during his only season as a Dodger. In 33 major league games, Heisey batted .182 with two home runs and nine RBIs. He saw time at all three outfield positions.The Dodgers’ 40-man roster now stands at 32, plus four pitchers (Lisalverto Bonilla, Brandon McCarthy, Josh Ravin and Hyun-Jin Ryu) on the 60-day disabled list.Honeycutt gets two-year dealRick Honeycutt will remain the Dodgers’ pitching coach through 2017, according to CBSsports.com. The report claims that Honeycutt’s new two-year contract will pay him $750,000 each of the next two years.Honeycutt is entering his 11th season as the Dodgers’ pitching coach, having worked under three managers already: Grady Little, Joe Torre and Don Mattingly.The Dodgers lost first base coach Davey Lopes to the Washington Nationals this week. Kendrick, 32, enters a market with Daniel Murphy and Ben Zobrist also competing for money from multiple teams with an impending need at second base, including the Dodgers. After batting .295 in his first National League season, Kendrick figures to get a significant raise from the four-year, $33.5 million contract he signed prior to the 2012 season — more significant than the qualifying offer provides.Anderson’s situation is less straightforward.The 27-year-old left-hander went 10-9 with a 3.69 earned-run average in his first season with the Dodgers. More significantly, he set career highs in starts (31) and innings pitched (180 ⅓) while avoiding the disabled list entirely for the first time since 2009.That injury history could work against Anderson again if teams consider his streak of good health to be a fluke. Alternately, Anderson could parlay his strong season into a multi-year deal.Anderson achieved $2.4 million in incentives on top of his $10 million base salary. The Dodgers extended qualifying offers to Zack Greinke, Brett Anderson and Howie Kendrick on Friday. If any of the three players doesn’t sign the one-year, $15.8 million deal, the Dodgers would receive a compensation-round draft pick (between the first and second rounds) in 2016.No player has ever signed a qualifying offer in the three years they’ve been available under baseball’s current Collective Bargaining Agreement.Greinke, Anderson and Kendrick have seven days to accept or reject the offer.Greinke will certainly reject the offer after a season in which he set career lows in earned-run average (1.66), WHIP (0.844) and winning percentage (.864), all of which led the major leagues. At 32 years old, Greinke is considered the top free agent right-handed pitcher in baseball. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
Ohio State presented its plan for Buckeyes football players on May 20. On that day, there were 621 new cases of COVID in the state of Ohio. When the first players began returning June 8, that number was down to 413. By July 13, it had spiked to 1,502.This is why the Big Ten and Pac-12 already have said they will contest only conference games this season, and why the other major leagues are delaying decisions about what course their autumns will take.Playing college football in the current environment is a challenging endeavor, possibly impossible. The idea, though, that preparing to play is needlessly dangerous or, as Chris Hinton said, “They’re not even hiding the fact it’s about revenue,” is a far greater stretch than anything that’s happened before the football players run sprints. Greg Sankey knows better than anyone what three properly sequenced letters can convey. He is the commissioner of the S-E-C, a brand that may be as powerful and distinctive as any in sports. So how did he not know, when informed that someone from H-B-O wanted to interview him, that the resulting piece was going to be one-sided with or without his side?HBO has done some important sports journalism over the years, but its track record on coverage of college athletics is predictable and abysmal. HBO aired the execrable documentary “Student Athlete” in 2018 and, earlier this year, presented the ludicrous “The Scheme,” which seemed designed to cast convicted criminal Christian Dawkins as some sort of Marvel superhero. BENDER: Best-case scenario for college football in 2020 still standsSankey agreed to talk anyway, and the “Real Sports” program used that opportunity mostly to harangue him for declining to break the confidence of his member schools regarding how many of their football players had tested positive for COVID-19 after returning to campus.That’s the subject of the “Real Sports” segment titled “Dangerous Games,” reported by David Scott and produced by Josh Fine: the decision by many member schools to invite their football players back to campus for summer workouts as the coronavirus pandemic has escalated.The title itself is a conspicuous indication that “Real Sports” believes athletes being back on campus is Real Bad.There is almost no consideration given to the contention of many, expressed by Pacific-12 Conference commissioner Larry Scott in a May interview with CNN, that athletes engaging in on-campus training are safer there than they would be if they would were lifting weights or running pass patterns in their home communities.Because the choice for most college athletes isn’t between training on a campus and quarantining at home, playing “Madden” and watching “Tiger King” from the safety of their bedrooms.It’s between lifting weights in a public gym around people who aren’t regularly tested, with no medical supervision present, and, as Ohio State AD Gene Smith explained in a May teleconference, being grouped with nine other teammates to enter the Buckeyes’ football facility together, work out for an hour, then clear out so the place could be sanitized before the next group arrives.”Real Sports” did allow Sankey to say, “That reality informed what I still believe is the right decision.” But this one opposing opinion did not emerge until the report already had run more than 10 minutes and only in between the multiple questions designed to embarrass him for not being willing to reveal medical data that isn’t his to share.MORE: Which conferences have canceled their 2020 seasons”Dangerous Games” complained that too many of the Power 5 programs it contacted declined to share COVID testing data publicly. Of the 20 that did, however, the report said 8 percent of football players had produced a positive test compared with just 2 percent of the general public in the same age group.This was a disappointingly disingenuous use of data, making it seem that engaging in preseason training put the athletes in peril. These figures ignored that basically 100 percent of the football players had been tested for COVID, and a large number of positive cases were discovered in initial testing when players reported. They brought it with them. It also neglected that an infinitely smaller portion of the 18-24 age group has been tested for the illness — many, like the athletes arriving on campus, haven’t been sick enough to know they were sick.The case in the report is presented almost exclusively through an interview with one set of parents, Chris and Mya Hinton, who have two sons playing major-college football: Chris, a defensive lineman at Michigan, and Myles, an offensive lineman at Stanford.They expressed concerns about the propriety of athletes being gathered on campus to train for the 2020 college football season, as well as this: “As the parent of a football student-athlete,” Chris Hinton said, “actually, it pissed me off.”Hinton, who played in the NFL from 1983-95 as an offensive lineman, complained that the players and parents had “no voice” in the decision regarding the decision to have players resume on-campus workouts. He and his wife did not say why, given those concerns, they chose to allow both young Chris and Myles to return to their schools for training sessions that were known to be voluntary.Curiously, Scott either did not ask the Hintons why they sent their sons back to campus, or their response was not included in the piece. It seems the most salient question of all, and it was ignored.Those who insist there is no such thing as “voluntary” in college sports surely have slept through the past half-decade. The adoption of the transfer portal in NCAA athletics prevents any coaches or athletic departments from exercising extraordinary control over those who play football or basketball or any other major-college sports.MORE: Polls shows most fans don’t think football will happen this yearIf the Hinton brothers wished to opt out of summer training, it likely would have impacted their positions with their current teams. The experiences of hundreds of transfers, though, has demonstrated that there would be no shortage of programs eager to embrace those looking for a new home.We do not know whether there will be a college football season in the fall. It seems less likely than it did, frankly, when most of the decisions were made by Power 5 schools to stage on-campus training.