Tennis star Leander Paes’ long-pending matrimonial dispute with wife Rhea Pillai failed to reach an out-of-court settlement, after which the Supreme Court on Monday expressed readiness to adjudicate it.Both sides had prepared terms of agreement regarding a house, payment of maintenance and custody of the child but they could not achieve a common ground despite six sittings.Counsel for Pillai told the bench that she had asked Paes for a house but he was not agreeable to it. Both Paes and Pillai were present in the courtroom.PAES’ ARGUMENTSPaes’ lawyer said Pillai had already got a house from Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt (her former husband) and the tennis star was not ready for another such demand. “He (Paes) is not agreeable to anything. Niether does he want to give anything, nor does he want to pay money”, Pillai’s counsel said. To this, the bench said it cannot force the parties for settlement and the matter would now be heard on merit.”If both sides are not ready to settle it amongst themselves, then we have to consider many things. The problem is that we cannot force a settlement. It has to be voluntary. Let the matter now go before a new bench as we had been pushing for mediation and propriety demands new judges hear the matter”, a bench of justices Arun Mishra and Amitav Roy said.’RESOLVE ISSUE AMICABLY’On January 18 also the court had asked the couple who have been fighting a legal battle for three years over their matrimonial dispute to resolve the issue amicably and try for an out-of-court settlement and sent them for mediation.advertisement”Show sporting spirit in real life too”, the bench had told the couple during the last date of hearing.The pair is locked in a legal battle over maintenance and custody of their 11-year-old daughter since 2014, when Pillai had filed a case of domestic violence and harassment against Leander Paes and his father in a magistrate’s court in Mumbai.She had sought maintenance, but her plea was opposed by Paes who claimed that he was not married to Rhea and hence, she was not his wife.Also Read:Leander Paes and Ramkumar Ramanathan in finals of Tallahassee ChallengerMahesh Bhupathi-Leander Paes war gets uglier after India Today reveals text messagesAlso Watch:Never communicated to Leander Paes he was in the scheme of things for Davis Cup: Mahesh Bhupathi to India Today
zoom Poor condition of the tow line, inclement weather and the lack of storm contingency plan led to the grounding of semi-submersible rig Transocean Winner in August 2016, UK’s Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) informed.Namely, the towing manual, which was provided to the Dutch-registered tug ALP Forward, which towed the rig, as well as to Transocean andAqualis, failed to provide the information necessary to safely complete the tow.MAIB said that the manual “did not contain any contingency plan for adverse weather or refer to suitable shelter or heave-to areas. Furthermore, no ports of refuge had been identified for the north-west coast of Scotland.” Additionally, there was no explicit instruction to the ALP Forward’s master to inform ALP in the event that the weather took control of the tug and tow.To remind, Transocean Winner grounded on the Isle of Lewis following the loss of tow from the ALP Forward. The tug and tow was on passage from Stavanger, Norway to Valletta, Malta when it encountered severe weather west of the Hebrides.The effect of the wind and waves on Transocean Winner led to the loss of ALP Forward’s ability to control the direction and speed of the tug and tow. After being dragged backwards by the tow for over 24 hours, the tow line, weakened by the repeated sudden loadings, parted and the tug was unable to pick up the emergency towline.
The Toronto-born model has spent 33 years in the fashion world, but many of us first heard of him when hundreds of shoppers scrambled to snap selfies with him during last year’s holiday season.These days, you may have also read headlines about Yorkdale’s new Fashion Santa: Adam Martin. Yes, Mason has been replaced for the 2016 campaign, and now he’s battling with the mall for legal rights to the character.There’s been an outcry on social media about Mason’s situation, with supporters using the hashtag #RealFashionSanta.Unfortunately, Martin wasn’t available for an interview – we asked for the new Fashion Santa a number of times – and Yorkdale wasn’t able to get a statement to 24 Hours before deadline, although a spokesperson said that there wasn’t much new to say. In past weeks, Yorkdale reps have mentioned that the mall is open to working with Mason again in the future, and that they weren’t able to reach him to organize the 2016 campaign – something that he disputes.Thankfully, Mason has a number of other things coming up, including a big international trip, a possible book deal and a promo for a well-known U.S. TV show. Here’s the rest of what he had to say during our recent chat.Where did the Fashion Santa idea come from?It came from a sad place. I had a 30-year career as a model without the beard, and did quite well over in Europe, and spent 14 of those years in New York City. And then my mom passed away (in 2013). And when you’re grieving, you’re kind of depressed, and you don’t feel like cleaning up. By the time the beard started growing, I was like, ‘You know what, I’ve been doing this 30 years, and I kind of like this look.’ And that’s when I was thinking along the lines of Fashion Santa, because I’ve been in the business that long, and I did look somewhat like Santa Claus For Santas everywhere, it’s a pretty intense time.Paul Mason, the 52-year-old bearded model who rose to viral fame as Yorkdale Shopping Centre’s Fashion Santa last Christmas, is currently running around to various modelling and charity-related events, capitalizing on his resemblance to a chic St. Nick.“It’s pretty intense at the moment,” he admits during a recent phone interview with 24 Hours. Advertisement Login/Register With: Facebook Advertisement Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Twitter