Tennis News Alexander Zverev Knocked Out Of Basel Open Tournament By Taylor Fritz

Posted on September 19, 2020Categories sqfxhpcjTags , , , , , , , , , , , ,   Leave a comment on Tennis News Alexander Zverev Knocked Out Of Basel Open Tournament By Taylor Fritz

first_imgBasel: World number six Alexander Zverev described his 7-6 (9/7), 6-4 loss to Taylor Fritz as ‘flat’ as he was knocked out of the ATP Swiss Indoors on Tuesday. The German’s loss to the 21-year-old American  came barely a week after defeat in the Shanghai Masters final to Daniil Medvedev and puts his chance of defending his ATP Finals title at risk. “I was completely flat for some reason,” he said. “I was tired and not focused at all. It was a weird feeling,” he added.Zverev won the season-ending tournament last November, beating Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic back-to-back. The season points race will be determined next week at the Paris Masters as the last two of the eight spots are decided. “The way I played today, in my current mental stage, I’m not going to beat anybody,” Zverev, ranked seventh in the world, said. “I’m very disappointed but it’s more about myself than the result.” Zverev, a semi-finalist last year in Basel, fought hard to take the opening set into a tiebreaker, but was overwhelmed in the second by his American opponent in 86 minutes. “Normally I really enjoy it on court, the tough moments, the fighting,” Zverev said. “But today I was completely out of it. I may go home for a few days and clear my mind. I’ll try to do well in Paris and hopefully make it to London.” Fritz, ranked 31st in the world and a winner at Eastbourne in June, saved both break points against his serve. London-bound third seedStefanos Tsitsipas came through with a 6-3, 7-6 (8/6) win over Spaniard Albert Ramos-Vinolas. “I knew it was going to be a difficult battle out there. He fought hard and gave me a hard time, but I’m satisfied and happy that this match didn’t go longer or to three sets,” Tsitsipas said. The Greek now boasts wins in eight of his last 10 matches including a final in Beijing to Dominic Thiem. Fabio Fognini picked up his London qualifying pace with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Australian Alexei Popyrin. The Italian winner reached the second round in 78 minutes to reinforce his year-end bid. The Monte Carlo Masters champion stands 11th in the chase for one of the remaining eight ATP Finals spots.Also Read | Daniil Medvedev Wins Shanghai Masters, Beats Alexander Zverev”If I qualify – fine. If not, then I can spend more time with the family, that’s the most important thing anyway,” he said. Moldovan Radu Albot will line up in the second round against nine-time champion Roger Federer on Wednesday after a 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 comeback over Serb Dusan Lajovic. The US’ Riley Opelka hammered 27 aces in his 7-6 (7/5), 7-6 (12/10) defeat of Chile’s Christian Garin and will face either sixth seed David Goffin or Marin Cilic. Two-time Basel semi-finalist Richard Gasquet advanced past Argentine Juan Ignacio Londero 6-1, 7-6 (7/4).  For all the Latest Sports News News, Tennis News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

The Latest: Brewers cancel January fan event

Posted on September 18, 2020Categories pdyqyhoqTags , , , , , , , , , , , ,   Leave a comment on The Latest: Brewers cancel January fan event

first_img Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The Milwaukee Brewers have canceled their 2021 Brewers On Deck event, an annual January showcase that allows thousands of fans to meet current and former players and coaches in a convention hall. The NCAA this week announced it would not conduct championship events in sports where at least 50% percent of the participating schools do not play a fall regular season. Unless Pioneer League schools pursue a football season as independents, the number of FCS schools that have canceled fall football is 68 out of 127.The Big Sky was also expected to announce soon whether it will play in the fall.___The Southeastern Conference will require football players and others in direct contact with the program to be tested at least twice weekly during the season.The league on Friday released its initial COVID-19 requirements for fall sports, including football. In football, the testing will typically come six days and three days before competition. The Brewers said that the decision was made with “the health and safety of the community in mind.”“It’s impossible to know at this time what restrictions may be in place that would require a different footprint or format for Brewers On Deck in January,” Brewers president of business operations Rick Schlesinger said in a statement. “It takes many months of lead time for our staff to plan and execute the event, and with so many uncertainties we unfortunately have to make this decision now.”___The Pioneer League will not play a fall football schedule, a decision that likely means there will be no FCS playoffs this season.The 11-team Pioneer League spans from the Midwest to the West Coast. The conference said in a statement the challenges related to team travel, meeting state, local and institutional health requirements and COVID-19 mitigation strategies led to the decision. The Pioneer League said it would consider playing a football season at another point in the school year if feasible. August 7, 2020 The Latest: Brewers cancel January fan event What did cricket fans do when there was no live games to watch during lockdown in the coronavirus pandemic?Watched replays. Lots of replays.The International Cricket Council released figures Friday showing it had 1.65 billion video views on its Facebook channel in the first half of 2020, saying it “topped the rankings in terms of video consumption among leading sports bodies” on the social media platform.Cricket was shuttered globally from late March until last month, when host England beat West Indies 2-1 in a three-test series that was played inside bio-secure venues in Southampton and Manchester.The ICC, citing statistics from the CrowdTangle analytics tool, said daily video consumption on its Facebook page increased from 3 million minutes viewed to 15 million minutes per day during the lockdown.center_img Coaches, staff and other personnel will be required to wear face coverings on the sidelines at sporting events this fall.The initial guidelines include testing requirements, procedures for infections and contact tracing and protocols for quarantine and isolation. The rules, which also apply to volleyball and soccer, were recommended by the SEC’s Return to Activity and Medical Guidance Task Force.The league expects the task force to release another report by Aug. 31.___ The Detroit Lions are preparing to host fans at all eight regular-season home games, although it’s uncertain how many will be allowed to attend.The NFL club said Friday season-ticket holders can opt out of purchasing tickets for the 2020 season if they want. The team also is offering various incentives for fans who defer payments to the 2021 season instead of asking for refunds.Fans and employees at Ford Field would be required to wear face coverings. Designated gates and entry times would be assigned to fans.The team says the ability to host fans at a reduced capacity depends on local and state approval.___ Associated Press “At a time when COVID-19 has severely impacted live sports, the ICC’s channels have gone from strength to strength,” the ICC said in a statement.Cricket hit some highs in terms of viewership over the 12 months to June, including the 1.1 billion views for the Women’s Twenty20 World Cup in Australia in February and March.Online traffic from India helped. The final between Australia and India, which attracted a crowd of more than 86,000 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, set a single-day record for women’s tournament with 64.9 million views on the ICC Facebook page.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sportslast_img read more

In the clear: Marcus Sales enters the 2012 season refocused and rededicated to football following his season-long suspension

Posted on September 17, 2020Categories yaqgzozfTags , , , , , , , , , , ,   Leave a comment on In the clear: Marcus Sales enters the 2012 season refocused and rededicated to football following his season-long suspension

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Related Stories Hidden wounds: After a slew of unpublicized injuries derailed Syracuse last year, the program makes adjustments to stay healthy in 2012Multiple fronts: Ashton Broyld gives Syracuse a new offensive weapon who can attack defenses from a variety of positionsOn the bright side: In his first season at Syracuse, veteran coach Donnie Henderson aims to turn the struggling secondary aroundNo rush: Without a clear-cut starter after preseason camp, Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone will weigh his options at running back during the season’The new Temple’: Coming off a 9-4 season and bowl victory, the Owls are looking to prove they’re here to stay in their second go-around in the Big East Published on August 30, 2012 at 3:49 am Contact Ryne: rjgery@syr.educenter_img The usually laid-back Marcus Sales was distraught. Sales, who was often upbeat and rarely showed emotion, couldn’t hold it together.It was about 3 or 4 a.m. July 30, 2011, as Dan Sisto listened in shock while his friend fought through tears.About six hours earlier, at 9:45 p.m. July 29, Sales and his brother were stopped by police after they ran a red light in Syracuse. They were arrested after drugs and drug paraphernalia were found in their car. Both would face felony drug charges.Sisto said he could hear the pain in Sales’ voice during the emotional call, describing him as depressed and embarrassed.“He was just so caught up that he wasn’t going to be able to play football anymore at Syracuse,” said Sisto, a close friend and high school teammate. “It was really the most heartbreaking thing to him.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textHead coach Doug Marrone suspended Sales indefinitely in August. But the drug charges were dropped in October, and Sales was reinstated to the team in the spring. The senior wide receiver is expected to provide a boost to an offense in desperate need of a playmaker after a disappointing 2011 season.Sales worked tirelessly during his suspension so he would be ready if he received a second chance. Now, he’s anxious to get back on the field with his team again.“I got over it; I got through it,” Sales said of his suspension. “It’s a new season. It’s in the past, so I’m just ready to move on.”SU wide receivers coach Rob Moore said Sales is the fastest and strongest he has ever been in his career.The senior weighs 195 pounds now, adding 18 pounds since he last played in 2010, which Moore said should help him pick up yards after the catch. He also shaved his 40 time to the 4.5-range for the first time.And Moore said Sales is more mature, redefining himself after a challenging season away from the team. It’s a maturity Sales lacked on the field early in his career.The former high school All-American has struggled to achieve his potential. In his first two seasons, Sales hauled in 42 catches for 484 yards and four touchdowns. As a junior in 2010, Sales only caught five passes for 39 yards in the Orange’s first nine games as he saw limited playing time.“I think that was a case where Marcus just had to learn and understand what was expected of him on the practice field,” said Moore, who joined the SU coaching staff that season. “And that’s a mantra that we preach to all our young players that come here.“There’s a certain way you’re expected to practice, and if you can’t give us that, we can’t put you on the field.”Moore said that toward the middle of the season, Sales started to give the effort expected. The increased effort led to more playing time and a strong finish to his inconsistent season, highlighted by a three-touchdown, 172-yard performance in the Pinstripe Bowl.“He’s a young man that I had a rollercoaster of a ride with the first year,” said offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett. “It ended on a very, very high note and never really got to continue that ride.”His arrest ended the ride for 2011 and jeopardized his career.But in the hours after his arrest — through the tears — Sales vowed to Sisto he was ready to work out like old times. He needed to stay in shape for the next season, and he needed his high school quarterback’s help.Five or six days a week, they met at Nottingham High School and Christian Brothers Academy, and they went through planned workouts for two and a half hours.Sales ran his routes. They ran sprints and hills. Sisto fired him more passes. They did cardio and jump rope. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, they followed it up with 90 more minutes of lifting weights at Gold’s Gym.At first, Sales was distracted by his off-field issues. Eventually, he never wanted to stop working out. It was an astounding transformation from their time together at CBA when Sisto said Sales didn’t believe in working hard because everything was given to the star athlete.“I’ve seen him grow so much through this time in his work ethic. It’s sort of unbelievable to me,” Sisto said.As Sales worked with his eye on a return to the program in 2012, the Orange played out 2011.Sales was supposed to be the Orange’s top receiver going into last season. Former SU teammates Antwon Bailey and Dorian Graham both called Sales a dependable playmaker.He had sure hands and an understanding of the position. And after his breakout game in the Pinstripe Bowl, teammates and coaches finally saw the talent that made him a coveted recruit out of high school.“He brought a lot of respect to the wide receiver position,” Bailey said. “And without having him there, those wide receivers, they had to gain respect, so we started off with a lot of eight-man boxes and a lot of safeties down in the box.“He would have been a big help for us last season.”But Sales had to watch from afar. He stayed in touch with his teammates every week. Graham said he was in constant communication with Sales and that he called after each game.Bailey also spoke and hung out with him regularly. Sales asked about how his teammates, especially the wide receivers, were doing. Bailey said while he longed to get back onto the field, Sales stayed in good spirits and supported the team through his suspension.After the Orange’s 49-23 upset of No. 11 West Virginia in October, Sales was the first to call Bailey. He was ecstatic, praising Bailey and the receivers for a stellar performance before meeting up with his teammate on South Campus later that night.“If you didn’t know the situation, you wouldn’t have known that he didn’t play,” Bailey said.Five days after the Orange defeated the Mountaineers, his hopes for a return to SU received a boost when the charges against him were dropped. Two weeks later, after meeting with the University Judicial Board, his suspension was lifted.Sisto said it was a “turning point” for Sales. Because the school allowed him to attend classes again, he was optimistic it would lead to his reinstatement in the football program.Sisto noticed Sales going harder at workouts. Once he was officially back with the team in March, he shifted into another gear. All the hard work had paid off.“I knew I was going to have a chance to get back on the field,” Sales said. “So I mean it was just me being ready whenever I got the call, so that’s what my mentality was the whole time.”Now, Sales will continue the ride interrupted in 2011. Moore expects Sales to make plays and pick up where he left off at Yankee Stadium two years ago.Sales, though, isn’t looking back. After an emotional year during which he was sure his football career was over, he’s leaving the past behind and preparing to run back onto the Carrier Dome turf to begin his senior season.“I’m just glad to be back out here competing with my friends and my teammates,” Sales said. “I mean, just being out here, just to be able to play football — it’s a blessing.” Commentslast_img read more