1 12 19

first_imgContinuing with its spree to dole out sops ahead of the Assembly polls, Maharashtra cabinet on Tuesday accepted the report to set up Mahatma Jyotiba Research and Training Institute (MAHAJYOTI) for the OBCs, Special Backward Classes (SBC) and Vimukta Jati and Nomadic Tribes (VJNT) communities.The MahaJyoti will function on the lines of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Research and Training Institute (BARTI) for Scheduled Castes and Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj Research, Training and Human Development Institute (SARTHI) for Marathas.The Cabinet also cleared extension of all benefits provided to Scheduled Tribes by the Tribal Development department, with a provision of ₹1,000 crore allocated in the State Budget. A sum of ₹500 crore has already been budgeted.“This institute will work to bring social, educational and economic development of the OBCs, SBCs and VJNT and also work to prepare students from these communities to sit for various competitive examinations,” said Dr. Sanjay Kute, Minister of OBC, SBC, VJNT Communities Welfare department.The institute will be headquartered in Pune, with divisional offices in Nagpur and Buldhana, and have a budget of ₹380 crore for two years. The decision to set up the institute was taken on the basis of a committee report which was accepted by the Cabinet, Dr. Kute said.It would conduct surveys for improving the situation of backward classes and deprived sections of the society, and make available facilities for self-employment, besides imparting skill training, the minister added.MahaJyoti will also have a helpline and counselling centre, and provide scholarships for M. Phil and Ph.D courses, besides creating awareness for removal of caste and creed bias. The institute will offer three programmes, namely ‘Jyotidoot’, ‘Jaldoot’ and ‘Savitridoot’.While Jaldoot will have programmes of awareness in water literacy, conservation, irrigation, and water management, Savitridoot will create awareness on gender bias, prohibition and cleanliness, and Jyotidoot will work to eliminate dowry and caste discrimination.Benefits to DhangarsDr. Kute said, as per the Cabinet decision, 13 schemes being implemented by Tribal Development department will be extended to Dhangars. Prominent among the schemes are providing land for grazing of sheep, financial assistance for Dhangar students if there is no provision for hostels, giving admissions to meritorious students from the Dhangar community in prominent English schools as well as a scheme to build 10,000 homes for the community. Asked about the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party’s promise to Dhangars to extend reservations in the Scheduled Tribe category, Dr. Kute said it will have to be decided in Delhi. “The issue of quota for Dhangars is being heard in court, but the State government has decided that, till then, all facilities provided to tribals be given to the former as well,” he said.last_img read more

15 10 19

first_imgThe Toronto-born model has spent 33 years in the fashion world, but many of us first heard of him when hundreds of shoppers scrambled to snap selfies with him during last year’s holiday season.These days, you may have also read headlines about Yorkdale’s new Fashion Santa: Adam Martin. Yes, Mason has been replaced for the 2016 campaign, and now he’s battling with the mall for legal rights to the character.There’s been an outcry on social media about Mason’s situation, with supporters using the hashtag #RealFashionSanta.Unfortunately, Martin wasn’t available for an interview – we asked for the new Fashion Santa a number of times – and Yorkdale wasn’t able to get a statement to 24 Hours before deadline, although a spokesperson said that there wasn’t much new to say. In past weeks, Yorkdale reps have mentioned that the mall is open to working with Mason again in the future, and that they weren’t able to reach him to organize the 2016 campaign – something that he disputes.Thankfully, Mason has a number of other things coming up, including a big international trip, a possible book deal and a promo for a well-known U.S. TV show. Here’s the rest of what he had to say during our recent chat.Where did the Fashion Santa idea come from?It came from a sad place. I had a 30-year career as a model without the beard, and did quite well over in Europe, and spent 14 of those years in New York City. And then my mom passed away (in 2013). And when you’re grieving, you’re kind of depressed, and you don’t feel like cleaning up. By the time the beard started growing, I was like, ‘You know what, I’ve been doing this 30 years, and I kind of like this look.’ And that’s when I was thinking along the lines of Fashion Santa, because I’ve been in the business that long, and I did look somewhat like Santa Claus For Santas everywhere, it’s a pretty intense time.Paul Mason, the 52-year-old bearded model who rose to viral fame as Yorkdale Shopping Centre’s Fashion Santa last Christmas, is currently running around to various modelling and charity-related events, capitalizing on his resemblance to a chic St. Nick.“It’s pretty intense at the moment,” he admits during a recent phone interview with 24 Hours. Advertisement Login/Register With: Facebook Advertisement Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Twitterlast_img read more

14 10 19

first_imgBy Jorge Barrera APTN National NewsThe ongoing, Mi’kmaq-led opposition to shale gas exploration in New Brunswick is creating an on-line backlash, with some calling for a counter-protest in support of SWN Resources Canada which was forced to call off its planned work Thursday after facing dozens of demonstrators.The calls for a counter-protest were posted Thursday evening on the Facebook group, Say Yes to Natural Gas and Oil in New Brunswick.“I think the people that move this country are fed up… Time for action (sic),” posted Tim Bamford, whose publicly available Facebook profile indicates he lives in Chipman, NB. “The intent would to be to go there in support only. If it escalated…Then that would force the govt hand to act…Trudeau would have shut this down before it started (sic).”The comment was part of a 125-comment thread in response to a posted Twitter photo about Thursday’s protest on Hwy 11 depicting Elsipogtog residents and supporters stopping SWN’s trucks.SWN turned back its thumper trucks after dozens of Elsipogtog residents and supporters confronted the machinery. The RCMP intervened, briefly shutting down Hwy 11 in an area about 46 km north of Elsipogtog First Nation.One woman was arrested in relation to the protest and the RCMP is investigating several acts of vandalism against one of SWN’s trucks and some of its equipment.The day’s events triggered a flurry of angry online reaction.While Bramford’s call received some support, some posters worried whether they’d be able to muster enough people to make an impact.“Your right tim show of real support is needed and we shall do it (sic),” posted Dan Richard, whose publicly available Facebook profile indicates he lives in Miramichi, NB.“Good luck Tim Tim Bamford, we could hardly get 20 to show up at the leg building last year… But hey if there’s at least 50 going, IM IN! (sic)” posted Jason Chase, whose publicly available Facebook profile shows photos of a license plate from Nova Scotia.It appears the pro-SWN protest never materialized and instead the discussion turned to taking out a newspaper advertisement.“What if we all pitched in enough to take a full page ad out in the papers?” posted Peter Melanson, whose publicly available Facebook profile included a photo calling to “Frack Baby, Frack.”The thread also revealed a high level of anger from local residents over the ongoing protest.“Push clutch in, put transmission in gear, gently ease off the clutch, hammer down !!! (sic)” posted Kevin Cai, whose publicly available Facebook profile indicates he went to high school in Rogersville, NB.“Good thing i don’t drive truck because i likely would have run over top of them (sic),” posted Stephanie Dawn MacLeod, whose publicly available profile indicates she lives in Saint John, NB.“Run the maggots over.. take them out of there misery. Enough is enough!! (sic)” posted Adam Merrill, whose publicly available Facebook profile indicates he lives in Nova Scotia.“Arrest everyone of them or bring in our army and deal with the warriors with real warriors…one law for all in this country (sic),” posted David Donahue, whose publicly available Facebook profile indicates he lives in Blackville, NB.jbarrera@aptn.calast_img read more

7 08 19

first_imgKim ShillinglawBBC Two and Four controller Kim Shillinglaw is to leave the UK public broadcaster as part of a wider restructure that sees Charlotte Moore take over all channels and the iPlayer.Moore has been named controller, TV channels and iPlayer for the BBC following an internal recruitment process, which was designed to create a “simplified and more co-ordinated strategy” across the organisation’s channel portfolio. She takes up the post on January 25.This gives her control of BBC One, which she previously ran. She will also manage: the bosses of on-demand service iPlayer, which is set to increase commissioning as BBC Three moves online only; BBC Daytime; and arts-focused BBC Four. At the same time she will oversee a new editor of BBC Two.BBC Two and Four channel executive Adam Barker will oversee the BBC Two editor post until a replacement is found. Cassian Harrison remains BBC editor, with Damian Kavanagh staying as BBC Three’s digital controller and Victoria Jaye overseeing TV content for the iPlayer.Both Shillinglaw and Moore applied for the newly created television channels role.As a result of Moore winning the job, Shillinglaw, who has been running BBC Two since April last year following Janice Hadlow’s departure, has decided to leave the BBC.“I’ve loved modernising BBC Two and Four over the last two years but when you don’t get the big job it’s time to move on,” said Shillinglaw. “I’m looking forward to another big challenge.”Moore, meanwhile, will report to Mark Linsey – who was appointed acting TV boss following the departure of Danny Cohen last year. She will continue to sit on the television board, while her new post tasks her with “ensuring the channels work in a complementary way while enhancing their distinctive positioning”.“This role will allow her to take a view across channels to drive distinctiveness, quality and risk-taking even further, whilst offering a single point of contact for programme-makers and ensuring audiences get the best programmes, however and wherever they choose to watch,” said Linsey.The move comes as the BBC attempts to simplify its structures through moves such as Matthew Postgate being appointed as chief technology officer, working across BBC Digital, BBC Engineering and BBC Worldwide. The BBC is attempting to cut costs in the face of continued external pressure to reduce overheads.The news also follows Linsey’s appointment as acting TV boss following the departure of Danny Cohen last year.last_img read more

6 08 19

first_imgTelenovelas channel Nina TV has launched in South Africa on mobile operator Cell C’s new entertainment platform Black.Nina TV, which launched in 2015, has expanded its presence in English-speaking African markets, including Nigeria, Kenya and Tanzania.The channel airs a mix of content from Globo, including titles such asPrecious Pearl, Caribbean Flower and Tropical Paradise, as well as some African titles through its relationship with TV Globo’s African content distributor Cote Ouest.Kimberley Azria, manager of Nina TV, said: “It is with great enthusiasm that we join Black this year. We have created Nina TV with all the passion we have for content and for content editorial, and we are thrilled to introduce our telenovela channel to South African audiences.”Cell C launched Black on November 14. The service offers live television, video-on-demand, gaming, betting and a host of other services. It includes a catalogue of up to 5,000 movies, series, music and documentaries; and more than 60 live TV channels, including the top five European football club TV channels, Manu TV, Barca TV, Liverpool TV, Chelsea TV and Real Madrid TV.The full 60-channel package costs ZAR189 (€11.65), with a basic 18-channel service being available for ZAR69. The football channels are available separately for ZAR5 a day or ZAR25 a month. Day passes are also available for on-demand content, with titles also being available for purchase or rent.Consumers can pay for Black via debit and credit cards, pre-paid vouchers and by using pre-paid airtime on Cell C’s mobile service.The on-demand catalogue includes complete series of African shows such as Mary Kills People, Catastrophe, Power, High Rollers, Generations, Skeem Saam, Uzalo, and Survivor’s Remorse.Cell C CEO José Dos Santos said that the company was in discussion with local production outfits to bring additional content to the service. The company is also investing in its own content.“This really opens the market to more South Africans looking for content, providing affordable and relevant content to those that have not had access to it before,” said Dos Santos.last_img read more

29 07 19

first_imgBET NOW starsports.bet or 08000 521 321 Welcome to Starters Orders. Star Sports update with our key market movers for the day and sign up specials.Monday 11 March2.30 TauntonUrtheonethatiwant 11/4 > 13/82.50 PlumptonMinella Gathering 12/1 > 5/14.10 StratfordAsangy 6/1 > 7/2LIVE FOOTBALLScottish Premiership19:45 Sky Sports Football / Sky Sports Main Event16/5 St Mirren10/11 Kilmarnock5/2 DRAWSTAR PROMOTIONSlast_img