Bradley Wiggins became Britain’s most-decorated Olympian on Wednesday, winning the cycling time trial gold for his seventh medal overall. Wiggins overhauled legendary rower Steve Redgrave’s total of six medals as he beat stiff competition from German world champion Tony Martin to seal victory in 50 minutes, 39.54 seconds.The winning margin over Martin was 44 seconds.Britain’s Chris Froome grabbed the bronze, clocking 51 minutes 47 seconds.Defending Olympic champion Fabian Cancellara of Switzerland was unable to challenge for the podium, finishing fourth.Wiggins had done most of the damage by the 29 km mark, when he had a 22-second advantage over Martin.It is turning into a dream summer for the 32-year-old Wiggins, who last month became the first Briton to win the Tour de France yellow jersey.It is his fourth career Olympic gold, after taking the individual pursuit title in 2004 and 2008, and the team pursuit in Beijing.The other medals are one silver, in the 2004 team pursuit, and two bronze, in the 2004 madison and 2000 team pursuit.
LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño The 17-time major winner hasn’t played since retiring from his semifinal at the U.S. Open because of a knee injury. He had surgery on his right ankle in November, and withdrew from a tune-up tournament in Brisbane earlier this month because of a muscle strain in his thigh, mainly as a precaution, to ensure he’d be fit for the season-opening major.“The doctors didn’t allow me to go on court,” he said, “even if I wanted.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsHe really was coming in cold.“It’s very difficult to start after an injury — I know it very well,” he said. “So that’s an important victory because is the first victory since a while, and at the same time, because that gives me the chance to be on court again.” Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next His only hiccup came when he served for the match in the ninth game of the third set and was broken. He returned the favor quickly, though, to seal his spot in the second round.He was quick with a serve at his media conference, too, poking fun at a journalist who appeared to be dozing .On a day when an injured Andy Murray likely played his last match at the Australian Open in a stirring five-setter — his first first-round loss at a Grand Slam tournament in 11 years — Nadal was circumspect about his progress.Murray has announced plans to retire this year because of the constant pain in his right hip. Injuries have forced Nadal to take extended breaks throughout his career and his high-energy style means he’s being more selective about when and where he plays.“My plan is wake up and see how I feel,” the 32-year-old Nadal said. “I am working about the personal feelings of every day — adapt our practice every day.ADVERTISEMENT PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? View comments Sweet and unsweet 16 for James Harden on a wild night in Orlando Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion LATEST STORIES Spain’s Rafael Nadal reacts after winning a point against Australia’s James Duckworth during their first round match at the Australian Open tennis championships in Melbourne, Australia, Monday, Jan. 14, 2019. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)MELBOURNE, Australia — Rafael Nadal has missed a lot of tennis since last September. He hasn’t missed a beat.The No. 2-seeded Nadal had a 6-4, 6-3, 7-5 win over Australian wild-card entry James Duckworth on Monday in the first round of the Australian Open, his first match back on Rod Laver Arena since he had to retire during his quarterfinal match last year.ADVERTISEMENT “So nothing new when you have comebacks, you need to do it that way, and worked well all my career for me that way.”He’ll play another Australian, Matthew Ebden, next.Nadal spoke late last year about the devastation caused by the deadly flooding on the Spanish island of Mallorca.A torrential rainstorm on Oct. 9 caused flash flooding that left a trail of destruction and killed 13 people.Nadal, who is from Mallorca, knew some of the victims and said he’s had to be philosophical about the tragedy.“I know the real life, how tough can be,” he said. “The world is suffering. Not only with this, with wars, with terrible things that’s going on.“There are families that lost almost everything. But I’m happy that all the island was together helping each other, and at some point, we receive huge support.“Human losses can’t repair at all. But the rest of the things, we are getting there.” MOST READ LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte
Ex-Watford, Espanyol coach Sanchez Flores named coach of Shanghai Shenhuaby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Watford and Espanyol manager Quique Sanchez Flores has been named coach of Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua.The Spaniard replaces Wu Jingui, who takes over as sporting director after steering Shenhua to victory in the Chinese FA Cup in 2017 Sanchez Flores has not worked since April, when he was dismissed by Spanish side Espanyol after almost two years at the helm.The former Real Madrid and Spain defender makes the move to China having also previously coached Watford in the Premier League, Benfica in Portugal and clubs in the United Arab Emirates. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say Man Utd veteran Mata: I can never forget Liverpool victoryby Ansser Sadiq7 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United veteran Juan Mata admits he’s never forgotten the times they have beaten Liverpool.Mata has now been at United for the better part of his career, which has involved many games against their arch rivals.And while they have endured disappointment in those years, they have also known great joy against Liverpool.One of those occasions for United fans was the game against the Reds in 2015, when Mata scored two goals and propelled them to a famous win at Anfield under then manager Louis Van Gaal.Mata told the Manchester Evening News: “If you speak with United fans they remember always the Liverpool-United games and I was lucky to win that game [in 2015] and score the two goals. “But specifically that goal [scissor kick]. “And whether I want it or not, I cannot forget that day! Because it’s very special for me.”
INDIANAPOLIS – APRIL 03: Head coach Mike Krzyzewski of the Duke Blue Devils gestures as he coaches in the first half against the West Virginia Mountaineers during the National Semifinal game of the 2010 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship at Lucas Oil Stadium on April 3, 2010 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)No. 4 Duke defeated Georgia Tech 72-66 at home last night. The victory gave Blue Devils head coach Mike Krzyzewski his 423rd career ACC victory, surpassing Dean Smith for the most all-time. After the game, Krzyzewski addressed the crowd as part of a ceremony honoring his 1,000th-career win, which came against St. John’s on Jan. 25. As part of the tribute, the Duke players all wore “Coach 1K” shirts, with the number 1 embedded as part of the letter K. Krzyzewski touched on both milestones during his time on the mic, and thanked the Cameron crowd for its support. There might not be any more coach in American more synonymous with his program than Krzyzewski is with Duke basketball. Pretty cool moment.
LSU landed its fifth commitment in the last five days Tuesday afternoon in three-star offensive tackle Shaahdiq Charles, who announced his decision on Twitter. With Charles’ pledge, the Tigers jumped Alabama and Miami on its way to the No. 3 recruiting class in the country – and No. 1 in the SEC – according to 247 Sports.LSU has always recruited well, so this momentum comes as no surprise. But the 2017 recruiting cycle is far from over. A lot can change before next February.