SAN FRANCISCO — The Giants played the second-longest game of their season on Thursday night.It had a satisfying ending.The Giants scored twice in the bottom of the 16th inning — including a walk-off single from Donovan Solano — to pull out a 3-2 victory over the New York Mets, extending their winning streak to a season-high six games and moving to one game under .500 for the first time since April 1.Williams Jerez allowed solo home run to Mets slugger Pete Alonso in the top of the 16th …
Ajinkya RahaneDelighted to be on the Lord’s roll-of-honour after a gritty hundred on the opening day of the second Test, Ajinkya Rahane revealed that he was a little nervous before his first Test at this celebrated ground.The batsman, though, said he calmed down on the morning of the match and that helped him register his second Test ton in his seventh match — both the tons coming in overseas conditions.”Every hundred is special, be it at Wellington or at Lord’s,” said Rahane, referring to his maiden Test ton that he scored against New Zealand earlier this year.”But yes this is special because I have done this at Lord’s. I was a little nervous last night because this is my first match at this ground. But I calmed down in the morning realising that all I need to do was bat patiently until I face 25-30 deliveries and then see how it will go,” he said.Put in to bat on a green-top wicket by England skipper Alastair Cook, India collapsed to 140 for six by tea, only to be rescued by Rahane’s 103. He was able supported by Bhuvneshwar Kumar, who scored a valuable 36, besides putting on 90 runs for the eighth wicket. India ended the day on 290 for nine.”I was telling myself to play as close to the body as possible. After 25-35 runs, I started taking my chances. It was challenging and a completely different wicket. I had a good partnership with Bhuvneshwar. When he first came in to bat, I asked him if he was okay with me taking singles early in the over. And he said he was confident, so I trusted him,” said Rahane.advertisement”I also want to thank the top-order — (Murali) Vijay, (Cheteshwar) Pujara and (Virat) Kohli — they played through a crucial phase in tough conditions against the new ball, and watching them bat, I gained confidence,” he added.Asked if he has now gained expertise in batting with the tail-enders, the century-maker replied, “I have been watching videos of Michael Hussey who used to bat a lot with tail-enders. I have also learnt from Virat, who in Australia batted with the tail. Dhoni bhai too has batted a lot with the tail. So I am learning from them.”
Tennis star Leander Paes’ long-pending matrimonial dispute with wife Rhea Pillai failed to reach an out-of-court settlement, after which the Supreme Court on Monday expressed readiness to adjudicate it.Both sides had prepared terms of agreement regarding a house, payment of maintenance and custody of the child but they could not achieve a common ground despite six sittings.Counsel for Pillai told the bench that she had asked Paes for a house but he was not agreeable to it. Both Paes and Pillai were present in the courtroom.PAES’ ARGUMENTSPaes’ lawyer said Pillai had already got a house from Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt (her former husband) and the tennis star was not ready for another such demand. “He (Paes) is not agreeable to anything. Niether does he want to give anything, nor does he want to pay money”, Pillai’s counsel said. To this, the bench said it cannot force the parties for settlement and the matter would now be heard on merit.”If both sides are not ready to settle it amongst themselves, then we have to consider many things. The problem is that we cannot force a settlement. It has to be voluntary. Let the matter now go before a new bench as we had been pushing for mediation and propriety demands new judges hear the matter”, a bench of justices Arun Mishra and Amitav Roy said.’RESOLVE ISSUE AMICABLY’On January 18 also the court had asked the couple who have been fighting a legal battle for three years over their matrimonial dispute to resolve the issue amicably and try for an out-of-court settlement and sent them for mediation.advertisement”Show sporting spirit in real life too”, the bench had told the couple during the last date of hearing.The pair is locked in a legal battle over maintenance and custody of their 11-year-old daughter since 2014, when Pillai had filed a case of domestic violence and harassment against Leander Paes and his father in a magistrate’s court in Mumbai.She had sought maintenance, but her plea was opposed by Paes who claimed that he was not married to Rhea and hence, she was not his wife.Also Read:Leander Paes and Ramkumar Ramanathan in finals of Tallahassee ChallengerMahesh Bhupathi-Leander Paes war gets uglier after India Today reveals text messagesAlso Watch:Never communicated to Leander Paes he was in the scheme of things for Davis Cup: Mahesh Bhupathi to India Today
zoom Shipping confidence, notably on the part of charterers and managers, improved for the second successive quarter in the three months to end-August 2016, according to the latest Shipping Confidence Survey from accountant and shipping adviser Moore Stephens.In August 2016, the average confidence level expressed by respondents was 5.4 on a scale of 1 (low) to 10 (high). This is an improvement on the 5.1 recorded in May 2016, and the highest rating for the past nine months of the survey, which was launched in May 2008 with a confidence rating of 6.8.Although confidence on the part of owners was down this time from 5.7 to 5.3, charterers (up from 4.0 to 4.8), managers (up from 5.1 to 6.0) and brokers (up from 4.3 to 4.5) were all more optimistic than in May 2016. Geographically, confidence was up in Asia, from 5.2 to 5.5, and in North America from 5.0 to 5.8, with sentiment in Europe unchanged at 5.2.Overcapacity was the dominant theme of comments from respondents to the survey. “Scrapping is still not sufficient to cope with newbuilding deliveries and the general supply-side overhang. Every new order will prolong the crisis,” said a respondent.Conditions in the dry bulk market also occupied the thoughts of large numbers of respondents, as the implementation of the Ballast Water Management Convention “will most likely solve overcapacity,” according to another respondent, “but it will also cause a bloodbath among owners.”Concerns about the global economy were uppermost in the minds of a number of respondents, one of whom neatly encapsulated a number of the main issues currently impacting the shipping industry by noting, “Brexit, Trump, supply overhang, consolidation, demolition, bankruptcies, and the low risk appetite of banks for shipping and shipping stocks seem to be the main topics to follow for the next 12 months or so. We would be pleasantly surprised if this were to change.”The likelihood of respondents making a major investment or significant development over the next 12 months was unchanged on the previous survey, with a rating of 4.9 on a scale of 1 to 10. The confidence of charterers in this respect was up significantly, from 4.1 to 5.0, while brokers also recorded a small increase, from 3.5 to 4.1.Owners and managers, however, were less confident in this regard than they were three months ago, dropping from 5.7 to 4.8 and from 5.4 to 5.3 respectively.Demand trends, competition and tonnage supply featured again as the top three factors cited by respondents as those likely to influence performance most significantly over the coming 12 months.“Given the challenges currently facing the industry, the continuing uncertainty surrounding the worldwide economy, and the ongoing level of global geopolitical instability, it is encouraging to see an increase in shipping confidence for the second successive quarter. Confidence is now at its highest level for nine months, which says much for the resilience of the shipping industry,” Richard Greiner, Moore Stephens Partner, Shipping & Transport, said.
US president Donald Trump attends the Congressional Picnic on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC, on 21 June 2019. Photo: AFPAn advice columnist for Elle fashion magazine said Friday that Donald Trump sexually assaulted her in the dressing room of a New York department store more than two decades ago, an accusation swiftly denied by the US president.According to E. Jean Carroll, the rape occurred in either 1995 or 1996, when Trump was a prominent real estate developer and she was a well-known magazine writer and host of a television show.The account, revealed in an excerpt of Carroll’s latest book and published Friday by New York magazine, makes her at least the 16th woman to have accused Trump of sexual misconduct before he became president.Trump reacted with a statement saying he’d never met Carroll, and that the incident “never happened.”Carroll, 75, says she ran into Trump at the Bergdorf Goodman department store in Manhattan while they were both shopping.She says that in an initially friendly encounter, Trump asked her for advice on buying a piece of lingerie for an unnamed woman. Then jokingly, they each suggested that the other should try it on.”The moment the dressing-room door is closed, he lunges at me, pushes me against the wall, hitting my head quite badly, and puts his mouth against my lips,” Carroll wrote.Pinning her against the wall, Carroll says, Trump proceeded to pull down her tights, unzip his pants and penetrate her — all while himself fully dressed — until she finally managed to push him out and run from the dressing room.Carroll never went to the police because, she said, she was afraid of repercussions.Carroll wrote that she did not come forward sooner because she was afraid of “receiving death threats, being driven from my home, being dismissed, being dragged through the mud.””Joining the 15 women who’ve come forward with credible stories about how the man grabbed, badgered, belittled, mauled, molested and assaulted them, only to see the man turn it around, deny, threaten, and attack them, never sounded like much fun,” she wrote.Trump shot back that Carroll was an attention seeker.”I’ve never met this person in my life. She is trying to sell a new book –that should indicate her motivation,” he said in a statement. “It should be sold in the fiction section.”He also said that New York magazine is a “dying publication” and had tried to “prop itself up by peddling fake news.”The magazine quoted a senior White House official saying that the accusation “was created simply to make the president look bad,” while Trump asked if Carroll had links to his opponents in the Democratic party.
CALGARY — WestJet says it has made significant schedule changes as it redeploys aircraft to draw in more of the lucrative corporate travel market. The carrier has also eliminated domestic change and cancel fees for any travel booked in its Flex fare bundle.“Maintaining our position as Canada’s value leader is important to us and we continue to hone our fare bundles to provide our guests with increased value,” said Debbie Keller, WestJet’s Vice-President, Revenue Management, Pricing and Group Business.She added that “eliminating change and cancel fees domestically in our Flex bundle will especially benefit business travellers and their frequently changing schedules.”WestJet’s new deployment this winter means the carrier will have more daily flights than any other airline from Vancouver-Calgary and Calgary-Toronto, with 15 and 10 daily departures respectively.WestJet will have 186 connecting flight options from Calgary, 63 from Vancouver and 172 from Toronto. “Make no mistake, WestJet is targeting the business traveller, eager to prove we have the schedules and flexibility which will meet their needs,” said Brian Znotins, WestJet Vice-President, Network Planning, Alliances and Corporate Development.More news: Onex paying big to get WestJet and that will send airfares soaring, says CWTAlong with no change fees for domestic bookings, guests travelling on a Flex fare get benefits like first checked bag free and complimentary advance seat selection for regular seats, Znotins added.WestJet schedule information is available at westjet.com/winterschedule. << Previous PostNext Post >> Share Friday, August 4, 2017 Posted by Make no mistake, WestJet is targeting the business traveller: new skeds Tags: Business Travel, Trend Watch, WestJet Travelweek Group