Former US President Bill Clinton paid a visit to South African President Jacob Zuma in Pretoria on Wednesday, ahead of the USA vs Algeria World Cup match. While the two men have a range of common interests, including climate change and poverty alleviation, it seemed that soccer was first on the agenda.Clinton congratulated South Africa as a host nation, while Zuma shared his thoughts on Bafana Bafana’s performance in the tournament.Click arrow to play videoPosted on SouthAfrica.info on 25 June 2010
Kolkata Police Commissioner Rajeev Kumar on Monday told the Supreme Court that the CBI tried to forcefully enter his residence on February 3 without valid papers.In separate affidavits, West Bengal Chief secretary Malay Kumar De, DGP Virendera Kumar and Mr. Kumar refuted the allegations levelled at them by the CBI of obstructing the apex court-ordered probe into ponzi scams including the mutli-crore Saradha chit fund case.However, in case the court prima facie felt that their action was contemptuous as alleged by the CBI, the three officials said they were tendering an “unconditional and unambiguous apology.” The officials from West Bengal also accused the CBI of levelling vague allegations against them without cogent evidence to back them up. For instance, they submitted that no police officer was part of the protests organised by the Trinamool Congress Party and led by State Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee.The CBI, represented by Solicitor-General Tushar Mehta, had argued before a Bench led by Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi that uniformed police officers had participated in the protest.Mr. Kumar said “his presence, adjacent to the site of dharna” was to “discharge his duties”. He said both the Director General of Police and Inspector General of Police, West Bengal, had come to the protest site, which had also served as a makeshift secretariat/camp office of the Chief Minister.The police official said he had been at the location to ensure that no unforeseen situation arose in a ‘volatile and evolving situation’, adding that 76 cases had been lodged in connection with the chit fund scam.Mr. Kumar is walking a tightrope as the apex court had on February 4 said that “if the police commissioner is even remotely trying to destroy evidence, we will come down so heavily on him that he will regret.” Mr. Kumar was also questioned by the CBI in Shillong on the apex court’s orders.In his affidavit, Mr. Kumar denied having acted in any manner so as to protect the ruling party’s leaders involved in the scam. He said he did not possess exclusively any evidence against them. Nor had he done anything to subvert the orders of the apex court.“Materials have either been in the exclusive custody of the various Investigating Officers as part of the investigative units under their supervisory officers across the State and/or the appropriate courts in accordance with applicable law,” Mr. Kumar submitted.On his role as part of West Bengal’s Special Investigation Team (SIT), which had probed the ponzi scams before it was transferred to the CBI by the apex court, Mr. Kumar said he was only acting as an “administrative and logistic coordinator” in the team.Mr. Kumar said there were Assistant Commissioner of Police, Deputy Commissioner of Police and Joint Commissioner of Police rank officers for closer and direct supervision of the investigation of cases in Bidhannagar Police Commissionerate, where the deponent was posted as Commissioner of Police.Mr. Kumar also asserted that it was “very intriguing” as to why the CBI chose the last working day of then interim CBI Director M. Nageswara Rao to question him.“It seems very intriguing as to why such a major decision could not wait even for a single day for the new Director CBI to join, especially when the last notice was issued to the answering respondent, after a gap of more than a year,” he said in the affidavit.Mr. Kumar contended that the CBI’s bid to question him was against the Calcutta High Court’s order of abeyance.The apex court is scheduled to hear the case on February 20.
Trailing, 70-74, going into the final six minutes of the game, the Bolts were limited to just one field goal as the Gin Kings finished the game off with an 11-2 spurt to run away with the victory.Durham, the back-to-back Best Import, tried his earnest to keep the Bolts fighting, unloading 27 points, 19 rebounds, five assists, and three steals, but failed to get much support from his teammates.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutDurham, though, admitted Meralco dug its own hole after falling to an 18-point deficit in the first half.“It was tough. They put us in a hole early. We didn’t really to fight back because we got ourselves back in the game, but we can’t have it like that on Wednesday,” he said. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. The Bolts anticipated a furious rally from the Gin Kings from the get-go, but still failed to match up as the defending champions ran to a 33-15 deficit.Meralco got its act together in the second half only to falter again late.“We knew they’ll come out and attack us really hard and everything like that. In the beginning, we didn’t react, but in the third quarter, we were right there. They just pulled away in the last few minutes,” he said.“I think we just got to hit a couple of more shots, preferably not play 5-against-8 with the officiating, and we just got to play better. Way too many players on the other side got to double figures and we can’t beat them like that,” he said.ADVERTISEMENT Meralco import Allen Durham. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netBOCAUE — Allen Durham couldn’t help but vent his ire on the referees after Meralco’s 85-74 defeat to Ginebra in Game 5 of the 2017 PBA Governors’ Cup Finals.“I think down the stretch, officiating was really bad,” Durham said, shaking his head in disbelief. “I mean, I’m not gonna blame it on the officials, we had our part too, but you can’t call a finals game like that.”ADVERTISEMENT QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort Trump attends World Series baseball game in Washington DC PLAY LIST 01:04Trump attends World Series baseball game in Washington DC00:50Trending Articles01:02Fajardo predicts there will be no sweep in PBA Finals01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 MOST READ LATEST STORIES Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Playing aggressive key to Ginebra’s success, says Tenorio Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Kin of Misamis Oriental hero cop to get death benefits, award — PNP Read Next Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion View comments
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Former Chelsea defender: Hudson-Odoi deal brilliant newsby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Chelsea defender Jason Cundy is happy with Callum Hudson-Odoi’s new deal.Cundy claims it would have been “devastating” to see him leave.“He is the future, he has shown the quality he has got, he’s a full international,” Cundy said on talkSPORT.“For me he starts [when he’s fit], he starts wide of the three, left or right.“It depends what formation you play but if you’re playing a three up top, he can either play on the left or the right.“So he’ll cut in on the right or cut in [on the left], generally on the right-hand side.“He can’t play down the middle, I’ve not seen him play there, I’m sure given an opportunity [he could].“But he is the future of the football club and it is brilliant news.”
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Watford manager Sanchez Flores explains Welbeck setbackby Paul Vegas4 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveWatford manager Quique Sanchez Flores says Danny Welbeck injured his ankle and not his hamstring.The forward went down clutching his hamstring with barely a minute on the clock and was eventually substituted in Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Tottenham.Sanchez Flores said: “I was talking about him in the last press conference about how he’s fighting with this injury.”We know he’s happy to be with us, with the team. During the week he was good.”He didn’t complain about anything and our feeling with him was really good, but the ankle is uncomfortable.”
LSU landed its fifth commitment in the last five days Tuesday afternoon in three-star offensive tackle Shaahdiq Charles, who announced his decision on Twitter. With Charles’ pledge, the Tigers jumped Alabama and Miami on its way to the No. 3 recruiting class in the country – and No. 1 in the SEC – according to 247 Sports.LSU has always recruited well, so this momentum comes as no surprise. But the 2017 recruiting cycle is far from over. A lot can change before next February.