Warriors lose unbeaten record

first_img Duncan Weir opened the scoring for Glasgow when Munster were penalised in the first minute just inside their own half, expunging in part his last memory of playing the Irish side when he received a long term injury. Weir missed the opportunity to double the lead and then DTH van Der Merwe had the home crowd out of their seats when he seemed to be through for a try – but was called back for a knock on in the move. At the end of the first quarter, Hanrahan kicked a penalty from halfway after Jonny Gray was penalised for barging in the lineout. There was little between the sides in the backs but Glasgow’s pack were dominating the scrum and it was no surprise when they forced Munster to concede a penalty on their own put in, which Weir finished off from directly in front of the posts. The second half was a very different affair as the Munstermen started off in a much better fashion than they had in the first period. Within minutes of the restart, Hanrahan broke down the main stand touchline, running past spectating Glasgow defenders. The stand-off seemed surprised himself that he was through for the try, which he converted himself. Within two minutes the same player, who was named man of the match, put Munster seven points ahead and even at this stage in proceedings there was a feeling that Glasgow were too lacklustre to come back from the deficit. Even a one-man advantage from the 51st minute, when James Cronin went into the sin-bin could not open the door for the league leaders. As the game, which lasted more than hours from kick-off to end, staggered towards its conclusion, only the yellow cards for Jon Welsh and Dave Kilcoyne offered any entertainment. Munster hauled themselves to the top of the RaboDirect PRO12 table with victory in a low-scoring match which saw Glasgow’s unbeaten record end with more of a whimper than a bang. Press Associationcenter_img The match which was a poor advert for professional rugby, with Munster stand-off J J Hanrahan scoring the only try of the contest in a 13-6 success for the visitors. The biggest difference between the sides was Munster’s ability to control the ball when they got themselves in front. They held on to the lead with relative ease for the majority of the second half. last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *