Ex-Watford, Espanyol coach Sanchez Flores named coach of Shanghai Shenhuaby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Watford and Espanyol manager Quique Sanchez Flores has been named coach of Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua.The Spaniard replaces Wu Jingui, who takes over as sporting director after steering Shenhua to victory in the Chinese FA Cup in 2017 Sanchez Flores has not worked since April, when he was dismissed by Spanish side Espanyol after almost two years at the helm.The former Real Madrid and Spain defender makes the move to China having also previously coached Watford in the Premier League, Benfica in Portugal and clubs in the United Arab Emirates. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Sagnol urges PSG to go for Liverpool midfielder Keitaby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Bordeaux coach Willy Sagnol believes PSG should move for Liverpool midfielder Naby Keita.PSG are in the market for a new midfield signing as a replacement for wantaway Adrien Rabiot.And Sagnol says: “With (Marco) Verratti, you have a player who is very good technically, able to organise the game from deep. But he needs a player with a large volume of play at his side. “Naby Keita (Liverpool) is a player who knows how to do everything, who recovers balls, can also project with and without the ball. Verratti and Keita could form a beautiful duet if we assume that (Thomas) Tuchel retains his defence with three men behind.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
LSU landed its fifth commitment in the last five days Tuesday afternoon in three-star offensive tackle Shaahdiq Charles, who announced his decision on Twitter. With Charles’ pledge, the Tigers jumped Alabama and Miami on its way to the No. 3 recruiting class in the country – and No. 1 in the SEC – according to 247 Sports.LSU has always recruited well, so this momentum comes as no surprise. But the 2017 recruiting cycle is far from over. A lot can change before next February.
VICTORIA – Real estate experts say the British Columbia government started to build a strong foundation for more affordable housing in Tuesday’s budget, but opinion varies on the expected outcomes.Finance Minister Carole James is trying to ease the province’s housing crisis by introducing a new tax on property speculators, expanding and increasing a tax on foreign homebuyers and spending $6 billion to build affordable housing over the next decade.James said she expects to see property values start to drop as her budget measures kick in.“We’re an amazing province,” she said Wednesday after speaking to the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce. “There’s no question people are going to want to live in B.C. But we need to see a moderation and my hope is, by addressing both supply and demand, you’ll see more supply in the market that will ease some of the cost pressures and you’ll see a moderation.”Tom Davidoff of the University of British Columbia’s Sauder school of business said he hopes the speculation tax will help make the lower end of the market more affordable, particularly for condos.The levy will be introduced this fall, targeting foreign and domestic homeowners who do not pay income tax in B.C., including those who leave homes vacant.In the 2018 tax year, the rate will be $5 per $1,000 of a property’s assessed value. Next year, the rate will rise to $20 per $1,000 of assessed value. It will initially apply to Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley, the Victoria area, the Nanaimo Regional District, Kelowna and West Kelowna.A non-refundable income tax credit will also be introduced to offset the new levy, providing relief for people who do not qualify for an exemption but who pay income taxes in B.C.James said B.C. residents with multiple properties, such as a summer cottage, will get the levy back as a credit on their income tax refund. But property owners from out of province will be dinged if they leave their B.C. home vacant, she said.The tax makes a lot of economic sense, Davidoff said, because B.C. has high income and sales taxes but low property taxes, which encourages vacationers to buy property and makes life more expensive for workers.“That is the worst possible idea in a market like Vancouver where you have a tremendous amenity level and it’s so hard to build,” he said. “We’re such a draw for people who don’t want to work here, but do want a lovely vacation home.”People who are affected by the new levy might sell their properties, freeing up housing for locals, he said.One issue the budget didn’t directly address is zoning, Davidoff said, adding that the taxes on speculation and foreign buyers might provide some indirect help because they will “bash” the high end of the real estate market. That encourages people to push for changes in zoning density to keep their property values up, he explained.“The property they own is going to be worth a lot less than it was before this tax. When you have new zoning, there’s a trade off — your property becomes more valuable because you can put greater density on it, but you don’t like what’s happening to your neighbourhood,” Davidoff said.He said the changes make it more attractive for people to subdivide a single luxury property into five or six moderately priced properties.Cameron Muir, chief economist at the Real Estate Board of B.C., said plans to help build 114,000 affordable housing units will offer much needed supply for rental and low-income properties.But he said a tremendous undersupply of available homes in Metro Vancouver, Victoria and Kelowna, coupled with B.C.’s strong economy, will keep home prices from dropping.“In terms of market impacts, it may be great to raise tax revenue, but this is not going to have a demonstrable impact on housing markets,” said Muir. “The chief culprit of rising home prices is the inability to supply the housing market in a timely fashion.”The head of an association of real estate developers across B.C. said measures in the budget won’t bring down prices for non-subsidized housing.An additional property transfer tax on homes worth more than $3 million will make it more expensive for developers to acquire land and that cost will be passed on to buyers, said Anne McMullin, president and CEO of the Urban Development Institute.There also isn’t enough labour to build thousands of new affordable housing units while keeping pace with the demand for housing built at market prices, and unless the province works with municipalities to speed up approval times, home prices will remain high due to a lack of supply, she added.“You can’t say ‘I’m going to add all these below market and social housing (units) to the market place, to the labour pool, to the industry,’ without dealing with the supply side, without dealing with the long processing times, without dealing with the lack of competition in the marketplace,” McMullin said.— With files from Gemma Karstens-Smith in Vancouver.
LIMA, Peru – Thousands of miles from home, Vice-President Mike Pence was thrust into a new, more immediate, role on the world stage Saturday: explaining President Donald Trump’s military strike in Syria to a summit of Latin America leaders.Hours after Trump hailed the missile strike targeting the Syria’s suspected chemical weapons — tweeting, “Mission Accomplished!” — Pence defended the president while building support among U.S. allies for the joint strikes with Britain and France.“The objective of the mission the commander in chief gave our military forces and our allies was completely accomplished — with swift professionalism,” Pence told reporters, noting there were “no reported civilian casualties.”Later, speaking in a cavernous hall of world leaders at the Summit of the Americas, Pence expressed gratitude to Canada, Colombia and other nations that had voiced support for the strike and urged “every nation in this hemisphere of freedom” to support the military action.Pence’s to-do list included smoothing over differences with Mexico, America’s southern neighbour, amid unease over Trump’s decision to send troops to the border and harsh rhetoric on immigration. And with tensions simmering over trade, Pence expressed hope alongside Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the three nations could soon agree to a renegotiated North American Free Trade Agreement.And while Trump grapples with the ongoing Russia investigation led by special counsel Robert Mueller, Pence sought to draw a bright line against Vladimir Putin’s alliance with Syria following the suspected chemical attack. “Our message to Russia is that you’re on the wrong side of history,” Pence said.Trump often improvises his remarks and is known for bold declarations in person and on his Twitter account. Pence, meanwhile, tends to be more scripted in his exchanges and frequently glanced down at highlighted index cards as he spoke to Latin American leaders here.Shortly before Trump’s address to the nation Friday night, Pence was whisked away from the summit in his motorcade so he could return to his hotel to inform congressional leaders of the pending missile strikes. Pence watched Trump’s speech from his hotel suite, joined by aides.Unlike past appearances at international summits, the vice-president had to dive into the packed agenda on short notice. He learned only Tuesday that he would be attending in Trump’s place so the president could manage the U.S. response to Syria.In meeting after meeting, Pence offered a low-key, extended hand.Seeking rapprochement with Mexico, which has been at odds with Trump over the border wall and immigration, Pence said the topic of funding for Trump’s long-promised border wall did not come up in his meeting with Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto.Pence said they simply had a difference of opinion and some issues were “set aside, for a later date.” Left unsaid was whether Pence’s overtures might eventually lead to a joint Trump-Pena Nieto meeting, their first.Seated alongside Trudeau, Pence said there was a “real possibility” the U.S. could reach a deal with Canada and Mexico on NAFTA “within the next several weeks.” Trump has long assailed the trade deal’s impact on U.S. workers and threatened to pull the U.S. out if he’s unhappy with the terms.The summit also gave Pence an opportunity to press the case for tougher sanctions and more isolation of Venezuela across the region.Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro was barred from attending the summit over his plans to hold a presidential election that the opposition is boycotting and that many foreign governments consider a sham.Pence urged Maduro to accept humanitarian aid as the once-prosperous nation deals with humanitarian and economic crises. But he called on the region to take a harder line on Maduro’s government, a message he intends to deliver in Brazil next month.“The United States believes now is the time to do more, much more,” he said.___On Twitter follow Ken Thomas at https://twitter.com/KThomasDC
“The museum is a gem of Tumbler Ridge. It’s something people from all over the world come to see.”Our calls for comment from the District of Tumbler Ridge have not been returned.The Peace Region Paleontology Research Center and Museum opened in 2003.The March 12, 2018, District of Taylor Committee Meeting included a presentation from the Tumbler Ridge Museum Foundation. “Our goal and our desire and hope is the museum will reopen. That we will find funding to provide the same amazing service to people and tourism possibilities.”The board decided in early March to let go all staff as current funding would only last them until the end of 2018 if they closed the museum.This letter was given to staff of the museum.Council and the Museum Board held a meeting on March 12 to discuss the grant-in-aid further, but as of now, the Museum remains closed.The board is now working to find alternative funding through grants or corporate donations. Schembri says the Museum is a big part of Tumbler Ridge. During the meeting, Councillor Will Howe said,“We had a roundtable discussion where all of them were allowed to come down and explain how this works. To me, that was the opportunity for the museum board to come down and explain to us why they need the two hundred thousand dollars. To me, until we get that done, I don’t fully understand it, and I’m not to spend the $200,000.”Here is video from the March 5, Council meeting where they discuss the grant-in-aid.In July of 2017, Councillor Caisley requested a notice of motion that said: “THAT the District of Tumbler Ridge informs the Tumbler Ridge Museum Foundation Council is suspending funding their institution through the Grant in Aid or Fee for Service Policy until conditions are met.”According to the Council on March 5, 2018, a letter was sent to the Museum Board in July 2017 asking for more information about their budget, and according to Council, the letter had not been answered.Jerrilyn Schembri, Vice President of the Tumbler Ridge Museum Foundation, says as far as she knows, the board has complied with everything Council has asked of them.Schembri says the Museum has been idled. TUMBLER RIDGE, B.C. – The Tumbler Ridge Museum Foundation, The Peace Region Palaeontology Research Centre and Dinosaur Discovery Gallery has been closed for what the group hopes is only a short period.In March, the District of Tumbler Ridge denied the groups request for a grant-in-aid of $200,000. On March 8, the Tumbler Ridge Museum Foundation gave notice to all the staff that the Museum would close do to the District of Tumbler Ridge denying their grant request.According to the video from March 5, 2018, Tumbler Ridge Council Meeting, Council had requested more information from the Museum Foundation, but the Museum at the time of the meeting had not replied.
Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho aimed a jibe at Premier League chief Richard Scudamore following his side’s 2-1 victory over Leicester CityCaptain Pogba converted from the spot inside the first five minutes while Luke Shaw netted his first goal for United to increase the lead for Mourinho’s men.However, Jamie Vardy’s goal in added time created a tense ending in what was an overall lackluster display from the Red Devils.Mourinho didn’t hide his emotions and wasted no time to lambast Scudamore over the Premier League schedule.“Mr Scudamore must be happy, it’s a good way to start the Premier League,” Mourinho told Sky Sports.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding ar Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“A good match. A match where I needed six changes not three. I want to play Martial but I can’t, Paul Pogba can’t play 90, Fred the same. I need more changes.“It was not easy to manage the game from the touchline. But I told the players we had good periods, lots of glimpses of the type of football we wanted to play. Leicester were strong in periods but we coped with that as a team.“The team played as a team. In the second half, I had Andreas Pereira and Fred with a yellow card, Paul was fantastic his contribution was amazing but the fuel was disappearing. We were in trouble.“Martial in the last 20 minutes could have given us the second goal but I couldn’t make that change. The players gave everything, they gave what they had. Everybody did that.”
Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, September 6, 2017 – Providenciales – It is certain now that parts of the Turks and Caicos Islands will get a direct hit from Hurricane Irma scheduled to impact overnight on Thursday. I encourage all the residents and visitors of these islands to seriously prepare. Do not take this hurricane likely – it is an unprecedentedly dangerous – a strong Category 5 hurricane with wind speeds up to 185mph and tide surge potentially up to 30 feet. Please listen for weather advisories and heed the advice given by authorities.Residents of Salt Cay, and Middle Caicos I encourage you to take the advice of authorities in your area for evacuations, and those living in coastal areas should either move inland or to high floors.Ensure that your home is properly secured and your surroundings are cleared of any possible debris. Those in flood prone areas are especially advised to take heed in securing your property. Please make use of the Hurricane Shelters if you need to and have all that you may need at the shelter including food, clothing, toiletries, blankets, important documents, etc. Be sure that you have enough food and drinking water for each member of your family to last at least a day or two after the storm, as electricity may not return immediately. Fully charge all of your electronic devices including your additional/backup batteries. Check to ensure your flash lights and lanterns are working and have spear batteries on hand. Remember to protect all of your important documents in water-proof containers.Keep battery powered radios with you and listen for advisories/updates, as they become available.We are a resilient people and will make it through and I pray for God’s protection over us during this storm.Press Release: Washington Misick (Leader of Opposition) Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp